Ringfield puzzle

Hi everyone, hope all is good, 

bit of a puzzle, 

I have stripped down 2 ringfield class 47/9f motors due to issues with armatures and had to replace the motor bearings (s2371) however they keep coming out when i try to replace the armature,  I have fitted them in the correct way though, 

Any thoughts on this please?

Many thanks 

cheers Rob.

Are you saying that the diameter of the armature shaft is too great to pass through the bearing?  If so, perhaps you have been supplied with bearings for the 5-pole motor which I believe had a thinner armature shaft.

And to round out further alternatives, the aperture to take the bearing oversize, or the bearing OD undersize for the aperture.

What may help those posting suggestions is to be told what exactly were the:

On 21/03/2024 at 19:42, vikingsmb said:

' issues with armatures'

that led to the need for bearing replacement?

5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And to round out further alternatives, the aperture to take the bearing oversize, or the bearing OD undersize for the aperture.

What may help those posting suggestions is to be told what exactly were the:

that led to the need for bearing replacement?

basically the loco was running slow, even with rewound armature, checked the usual suspects though

I will try and get photos up today or tomorrow to show the problem 

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

So the motor has been significantly dismantled and reassembled. Do the magnets significantly lose field stength while the armature isn't present to complete the magnetic circuit?

Magnets shouldn't lose magnetism in that instance. Only if the magnetic circuit is broken does that occur. Think of an X04, with 2 pole pieces (which do surround the armature). If the screw is removed, and the magnet block removed, it will lose magnetism.

Not a problem for me as I have a remagnetiser!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stewartingram said:

...Only if the magnetic circuit is broken does that occur...

Never having really dug into the magnetic circuit of such 'ringfield' arrangements, what if the bonded ferrite (or whatever they are made from?) magnet is broken? And are these magnets vulnerable to loss of field over time even if undamaged?

Asking because I joyfully abandoned 'unpower' bogies when Athearn HO centre motor mechanisms became available, so really know very little of these: other than the original effective Fleischmann design which Hornby obtained under licence around 1970,  and then progessively degraded in their race to the bottom with Lima...

I've not experienced a loss of magnetism over time, though I have remagged 2 or 3. I can't see a broken magnet ring causing problems either. If you think about, if you buy some small magnets off beay, you can just put them together in series and you get a stronger magnet. I seem to remember that one of the remags was "out of phase" as it were, the magnetic path (measured with a small compass) wasn't in the right plane.  Am I right in thinking it s physically impossible to fit them wrongly? Long while since I looked at one! I'm sure I just remagged it in the correct orientation and it was just fine.

If it is any help I can have a lookat/remag yours. Just give me a PM.

I recently had a "screamer". The bush was rotating in the frame. Bit of superglue put paid to that! Smooth runner now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

I recently had a "screamer". The bush was rotating in the frame. Bit of superglue put paid to that! Smooth runner now.

you have just answered my question, no screamer but bush is loose thanks for that :) 

i got a remagnestiser anyway