Edwinstowe Station... LD&ECR

gingerangles

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gingerangles said:

Cheers @5BarVT... saved me a bit of searching. Looks quite straightford. Although he looks to be generally building his own track anyway.

Dont suppose it has to be perfect... just give the effect.

Track is all SMP with hand-built points.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Paul - but they're all bullhead actually!

Oops!

Thus even better as an example!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Extra words
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Track is all SMP with hand-built points.

Looks great @St Enodoc an amazing model on the whole. I've saved the thread to have a good read though, hoping to pick up some pointers... inbetween the rugby chat 😀

• Thanks 1

Weekend progress update...

Picked myself up a Southern M7 body (off the shop on here), plans to see if it could be modified into one of the LD&ECR classes of loco.  Turns out it isn't a million miles off the Class C passenger engines (identified with the help of Model Railway Constructor March 1976) so set about hacking it to bits to see what I could do...

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_22.57_3cca985f.jpg.02014a0549edc658a0d7b847f967c9ad.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_22.57_079bd021.jpg.a27c7fa9631a4e26e6b585e580e8f336.jpg

Now to find a chassis.

Did a bit more experimentation with the construction of the signal box from printed card.  Really excited by this as I think the possibilities are endless. 

This is a 'net' of the whole thing on to which I can layer proper coverings or relief for the windows etc.  Need to build a separate floor as as I have it now the floor is level with the bottom of the windows.

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_22.58_84cb3389.jpg.c71d00a9c8d13f8d0343e67e56459967.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.01_67405718.jpg.d6afb0b67ab55f50fc54d7e6444ecb3d.jpg

Got all but a couple of bits of track laid on the Edwinstowe boards:

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.01_a886072c.jpg.14426e39316b999bedf29f14d5004b38.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.03_77acb012.jpg.cb953fa59eba48271cee78a5860d55a6.jpg

Have managed what feels like a lot of wiring on the Edwinstowe boards.  Droppers on every length of track and from every point.  Point motors wired to an accessory bus and also the track bus for switching which seems to work pretty well.  Wired up the DCC Concepts circuit breaker which, again, seems to function nicely.

I've used 12 way 10A connectors and pluggable chocolate blocks, put ferrules on most connections apart from the point motors.

WIP

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.00_3b4276ba.jpg.a10ec8a94d02f8bbff280078ab786199.jpg

'Done'

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.04_0f2f12f0.jpg.7bb55919f8c213af6aadbc83c0ab3cea.jpg

WhatsAppImage2024-05-06at23_23.04_98935332.jpg.6a9636b4b33c4b12c00d22631cbaa30e.jpg

Programmed the points to the correct numbers and setup so that position '1' and '2' are the correct way, swapped any crossovers so they match up.

I did find I have a faulty point motor - wont respond to commands or programming so have that to sort out this week.  I have two motors left to install on this section of the layout.

I also found I had a faulty peco point, which surprised me.  When checking frog polarities I found I want getting continuity to one particular from from my dropper at all.  Assuming it was my wiring I hacked the wire back to the underside of the baseboard and still nothing so was forced to pull the point up.  What I found was that the wire dropper supplied pre-attached to the frog wasn't connected to 3 out of its 4 connections properly - hopefully you can see in the photo below that the wire is 'tacked' to the 2 sections of frog and the 2 check(?) rails - or it should be - in the case of my dodgy point it wasn't!  Luckily I managed to get the wire soldered on without melting the whole thing.  Needless to say I'll be checking this on all others in future - luckily all of the others I have seem ok.

All in all a productive weekend I think.  

Next jobs are to carry on wiring (still only about half way though the Edwinstowe boards) and also give further thought to how I intend to build/position the platform....

...In addition to trying to figure out how to crowbar Chesterfield Market Place and a fiddle yard into the mix of course! 😂

• Like 5

IIRC those drawings and the other information were very inaccurate in the Model Railway Constructor. There was a follow up article in a later edition which had a few corrections, but did not cover all the errors. I think the carriage drawings were based on LNER weight diagrams (sketches effectively) and so grab handles , proportions, running numbers etc. were wrong. The loco drawing  was probably based on photos and was poorly proportioned. There are accurate drawings of some stock at the NRM, I think.

Importance depends how accurate you want things to be of course.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

IIRC those drawings and the other information were very inaccurate in the Model Railway Constructor. There was a follow up article in a later edition which had a few corrections, but did not cover all the errors. I think the carriage drawings were based on LNER weight diagrams (sketches effectively) and so grab handles , proportions, running numbers etc. were wrong. The loco drawing  was probably based on photos and was poorly proportioned. There are accurate drawings of some stock at the NRM, I think.

Importance depends how accurate you want things to be of course.

Good to know, thanks!

I'll take a closer look, I have a few pics myself so I'll compare. I'm not uber critical about it being perfect, just want it too look 'like' the original rather than, say, just a repainted M7.

Posted (edited)

Educated guesses are

Bottom left - Permanent Way Gang hut? - there is a photo on The Signal Box showing an LNER concrete PW hut here, along with 2 wooden huts.

OIP.hHoir_XVovBjVmB0yRlKTQHaD_?rs=1&pid=

Bottom Right - probably the Goods Yard Office and Weighbridge, given its position at the road entrance to the goods yard

Just above and left of word 'Tank' - water tank

Just below this - cattle pen (D shaped)

Other two above signal box do not look like not buildings, as not cross hatched. Maybe one is a coaling facility for locos, as a wild guess.

Photos of other LDEC stations might yield more clues, as much would be standardised on a line like this - though maybe not so much north of Langwith Junction on the Sheffield branch, which was built slightly later.

Edited by Orion
correction
  • Like 2

Thanks @Orion for the reply!

Bottom Right - probably the Goods Yard Office and Weighbridge, given its position at the road entrance to the goods yard  - That makes perfect sense.  There was a weighbridge listed as being at Edwinstowe so I'll go have a look for references for this sort of infrastructure.

Just above and left of word 'Tank' - water tank - In relation to the tank - I dont believe, or certainly haven't seen, any reference to water columns for loco refilling at Edwinstowe - would this likely be a water tank for some other use perhaps? (or might there have been a water column somewhere? - this would be great if so!)

Just below this - cattle pen (D shaped) - That's great - I had assumed this was a building so that's brill.

Other two above signal box do not look like not buildings, as not cross hatched. Maybe one is a coaling facility for locos, as a wild guess. - Ah, I'd not picked up on the hatching, good spot!  I'll have another look through the photo's I have with this in mind - obviously looking for buildings I could have missed something.  Can't believe with all the pics of the signal box there seem to be there wouldn't be something giving a clue as to what they are!

Photos of other LDEC stations might yield more clues, as much would be standardised on a line like this - though maybe not so much north of Langwith Junction on the Sheffield branch, which was built slightly later.  - Good shout - particularly as in the case of the goods office / weighbridge I now know what I'm looking for.

6 hours ago, gingerangles said:

Thanks @Orion for the reply!

Just above and left of word 'Tank' - water tank - In relation to the tank - I dont believe, or certainly haven't seen, any reference to water columns for loco refilling at Edwinstowe - would this likely be a water tank for some other use perhaps? (or might there have been a water column somewhere? - this would be great if so!)

I don't know Edwinstowe well enough to be sure what the water was for. Some loco watering facility would have been useful for trains reversing there. Even if not, then toilets need flushing, general water supply to the station and associated houses? The station was a little way outside of town when first built so may have needed a tank for pressure issues etc. Not really an expert to say.

Posted (edited)

Another little project I've got bubbling away in the background is the mimic panel... found I had an old picture frame that could be made use of... 

Quite pleased with the appearance of that.

20240509_181545.jpg

Edited by gingerangles
I don't know why that's upside down 🤦‍♂️
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Right... so all but the cattle Dock and Bay Platform (and shut / point) all in. Just those small bits left to do as I want to sort what I'm doing platform wise first.

All points wired up and working with droppers and frogs seemingly doing what the should. Think I had a 50% hit rate of getting the dropper polarities right which I thought was pretty darn good 😂

Have been experimenting with printed brick for the platform edges... some work to do but I don't think it looks bad...

Screenshot_20240512_181544_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240512_181611_Gallery.jpg

Edited by gingerangles
Usual standard of spelling
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Blue brick looks spot on colour wise to me.

Paul.

Thanks Paul!  I think on reflection and having another look through reference photos - you might be right.  I don't know if you can tell but I'd added one of the 'step-outs' of brick work (apologies I don't know what it is called) by the 2nd photograph which helps the appearance a lot - there are another 2 of these so I'll persevere with this version I think and see how it goes.

• RMweb Gold

I had noticed there was a difference - because I couldn’t see it in the first photo I wondered if it was a trick of the light.  It looks better for it, so keep on persevering!

Paul.

• Like 1

A bit more fiddling with the potential fiddle yard design has me here:

image.png.a79f5644c7747ec16ea91c45741e2f91.png

Bottom right would be a load of sidings either side of the running lines for storage in the space available.  Bottom left corner would be an opportunity for a but more scenery.  

I'm not totally set on this, nor have I forgot the potential split level plan but I am conscious of time and progress and just getting something sorted.  The above would allow max 2.3m trains and min 1m, the sidings at the bottom right could be quite considerable and add a good amount of storage - possibility to waggle a cassette arrangement somewhere as well for keeping trains together.

Would love any feed back or improvement suggestions??? 😁

• Like 1

A bit more work on the MIMIC panel where I'm planning to use the DCC Concepts Lighting system...  Ever feel like you've created a monster???

image.png.ab8d5f122f96e0d54541fa183a447423.png

The question of the moment however is...

• LDECR or
  • LDECR/GCR Transition or
  • GCR...

(all with a little MR / NE thrown in the mix maybe?) or...

• GCR/LNER Transition or
  • LNER
  • 🤷‍♂️

It's giving me sleepless nights... it's ridiculous! 

I've decided I'm going to start taking a few liberties with reality as my (ahem) understanding grows... In my world the Dukeries route very much took off as a passenger service.  This led to the required investment in Bolsover Tunnel and more importance placed on the route.  In addition to the well established freight and coal traffic this meant Edwinstowe would have been a busy place - the Bay platform was kept functional for terminating services.

Pre or post 1925 era choice may further change the signalling arrangement at No 40 with the addition of the Thoresby spur... TBC

It possibly got so busy there may have been other fun changes 😂

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My own modelling of the LD&ECR line usually assumes some sort of upturn in the passenger services compared to the real thing.

There were excursions in real life, especially during racing season and the Midland really did run regular services to Edwinstowe but the everyday real services didn't show much variety or interest in terms of stock or locos.

This is my interpretation of the platform edges. I think we are fairly close in terms of the colours and the finish.20230711_182839.jpg.51907e54f34770f48279bbd5618b946d.jpg

Edited by t-b-g
Add photo