Hi , I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this , does anyone know how to draw the cab roof of a class 304 unit in fusion 360 , I've tried all sorts and its totally confounding me as to how to do it . Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask . I've enclosed a pic .

Many thanks

Untitled.jpg

I did similar in design spark. I used dimensions from the Parkin book of the Mk1. Firstly I drew the top radius then setting the cant rail used my judgement to do a radius to join the two curves.

Keith

image.png.043a6afd2c4b159052a74f6ef157c91f.png

I have only used Blender so am unsure how other software use non destructive modifiers, but I would either use a Bevel modifier with the the edge's bevel weight value being changed from max at the top to the minimum at the corners. Or on the right making a simple version with a handful of vertices and use the subdivision surface modifier to fill in the overall curved shape, manipulating the vertices to get the shape to match the profile of the roof arcs behind, while using a supporting loop at the top and bottom of the bevel.

Edited by tom s

On 23/03/2024 at 11:48, davemh40 said:

Hi , I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this , does anyone know how to draw the cab roof of a class 304 unit in fusion 360 , I've tried all sorts and its totally confounding me as to how to do it . Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask . I've enclosed a pic .

Many thanks

Untitled.jpg

Are you drawing the entire coach? If its just ends there are some on expensive shapeways! Not bought just seen...Good luck with drawing wish I had the knowledge and gumption as I've a 1000s of ideas wishing in my head for printing. 

G

On 25/03/2024 at 21:48, bradfordbuffer said:

Are you drawing the entire coach? If its just ends there are some on expensive shapeways! Not bought just seen...Good luck with drawing wish I had the knowledge and gumption as I've a 1000s of ideas wishing in my head for printing. 

G

Hi , yes I am , well trying to draw it , I won't use shapeways to be honest , they're a bit on the pricey side .

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, davemh40 said:

Thanks for all your replies , I think I've got an acceptable result  ....... hopefully .

Untitled.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of body. Are you putting files on cults3d or the like or is it just for personal use?

10 hours ago, davemh40 said:

Just a final update as it close to being finished.

304 -1.jpg

304-2.jpg

That's a real skill...I've just printed a currier van from a n gauge stl in to 3mm off cults3d it has representation of door hinges it brings the body side to life! Also door bangers are an other texture detail...if you are doing blue grey are door grab handles in the way for painting? Two holes on drawing then use brass wire...but your model your way! Looks good in drawing

20240323_155247.jpg

• Like 2