Cary Loco Works F-M H10-44

In the back of a cupboard, I found an almost-finished Cary Loco Works Fairbanks-Morse H10-44 which will do nicely for my new logging section. However, it's on an old Athearn analogue chassis and I know these don't convert easily to DCC. So, is there a current  Athearn DCC-fitted loco with a chassis that will fit? It looks like a switcher chassis but I haven't bought Athearn for a long time and I've no idea what's available - if anything. (CJL)

P1070610.JPG

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the Athearn SW7 chassis. I don't think they've reissued it with DCC.

I wonder whether a Proto 2000 SW chassis would fit

looks like SW7 chassis, there not to hard to add a decoder, i did one years ago, just make sure you isolate the motor, might be a good idea while it's all dismantled to give it all a good clean and re lube, there's plenty on YouTube about adding decoder to old blue box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Looks like a modern DCC-fitted Athearn SW1500 is available so I could maybe cannibalise one for its chassis. I have a Rapido switcher, bought for a repair job on another model. I may just switch the chassis from that. I'm currently hooked on getting some old models up to date and some really old kits, acquired long ago, actually built! (CJL)

Edited by VIA185
  • Like 1