NBL Type 2 B-B Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, Class 22.

tony6710

Good morning,

If everything goes to plan, Volume 1 of my next book in the Pen & Sword “Locomotive Portfolio (Diesel & Electric)” series will be published at the end of April. Over recent years I have been “encouraged” by readers to produce a book covering the North British diesel-hydraulic Type 2s (Class 22, D63xx); to date I have steered clear of diesel-hydraulic classes as they are already well covered in the press. I have, however, finally succumbed to the pressure, not least because the Class 22s can be regarded as one of the less successful Type 1 & Type 2 classes (which has been my focus to date).

The British Railways ‘Pilot Scheme’ orders of 1955 included six Type 2 diesel-hydraulic locomotives built by the North British Locomotive Co., these being introduced during 1959 for use on the Western Region. Without operational experience, a further fifty-two locomotives were delivered between 1959 and 1962. The fleet survived intact until 1968, when approximately half of the class was withdrawn as a result of declining traffic levels across the UK. All fifty-eight locomotives were withdrawn by New Years Day, 1972.

2023 proved to be a particularly barren year for me in terms of book publication, in the main due to the challenges of producing the Class 22 book itself, both in terms of producing something new and different, and, something which could be considered financially suitable to meet the needs of both the publisher and readers. All has now been resolved, however, and the book, as originally envisaged, has been sub-divided into two volumes reflecting the considerable amount of new material unearthed on this class. These books will, therefore be my seventh and eighth books in the Pen & Sword “Locomotive Portfolio (Diesel & Electric)” series.

Volume 1 sets the scene surrounding the relatively short history of the Class 22s covering the ordering of the Class by the BTC, the introduction of the fleet, technical aspects, appearance design, delivery details and acceptance testing, works histories and their allocations. Detailed individual histories of each of the fifty-eight locomotives are included forming the basis of the detailed analyses in the second volume.

Volume 2, to be published at the end of July, builds extensively on the class overview provided in the first volume and makes extensive use of available archive material and the personal observations of several enthusiasts. Previously unpublished information, covering the performance issues surrounding these locomotives, form a central focus, together with details of fire incidents and accidents. Liveries and detail differences are given in-depth treatment to illustrate that there really were reasons and a logical time progression behind the complicated series of design modifications applied to the D63xx locomotives, particularly their front ends. Volume 2 concludes with sections on storage, withdrawal and final disposal.

Combined, the books include over 95000 words and more than 330 photographs, plus tables and maps.

I hope you like the books, which whilst not the first exclusively devoted to the Class 22s, is certainly the first to provide a comprehensive coverage of the subject. Inevitably every effort is being made to meet the publication dates, but these may be impacted by circumstances outside of our control, not least the current situation in the Red Sea area, which could result in extended shipping times after printing in India. Volume 1 is already open for pre-ordering via Pen & Sword.

Anthony Sayer (Tony).

North British Type 2 B-B Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, BR Class 22, Volume 1 - Setting the Scene, Anthony P. Sayer.

North British Type 2 B-B Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives, BR Class 22, Volume 2 - Detailed Insights, Anthony P. Sayer.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all,
The first NBL Type 2 diesel-hydraulic book (Class 22, Volume 1, 'Setting the Scene') was received into Pen & Sword's warehouse yesterday. 
A very sincere thank you to those of you who have already pre-ordered this book; despatch is expected to commence today.
Publication of Volume 2 ('Detailed Insights') is currently still on track for end-July 2024.

• Informative/Useful 3