If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from Minehead

robk

• RMweb Gold

Hello Everyone, I figured it was high time I introduced myself - my name is Rob and I am an aspiring railway model maker. As in, as much as I would like to have my own layout etc., all the usual life things seem to conspire to hinder my progress. I have several little projects on the go, but no real progress.

I've come back to the hobby after a 30+ year hiatus and still have a very old white metal Baby Deltic kit to finish off, the one that warped in every conceivable direction. Maybe I shouldn't have hung onto it, but it is kind of sentimental.

Being based in Minehead, I can be found most Wednesday evenings hanging out with the Exmoor Coast Railway Modellers, which is where I get to at least have a go at this varied hobby.

I have managed to dabble a little over the last few years, building short lengths of EM and P4 trackwork including turnouts to test a couple of conversions to each. Mostly it all worked (best to ignore the smoking Lima 33) and ultimately I concluded EM is for me. Probably. 

Tinkered a bit with MERG DCC and put Zimo decoders in a couple of locos to get a feel for it, but probably won't go with DCC immediately.

Whatever layout I build is going to be quite small, a couple or three metres of scenery kind of thing.

If you look too hard, you will see I have been a largely silent RMWeb member for a while, just dipping in occasionally. There is a lot of interesting and valuable material amassed here and thank you to everyone who has contributed to it, I have managed to waste hours reading through it.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob welcome to the forum. I am in Taunton so not far away.  I have also used MERG kits, mainly SERVO4 and love them.  My track is also hand built, but in 16.5mm.  if you're passing we are always open for visitors.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian and since you're quite local, forgive me a shameless plug for Exmoor Rail 2024 - if you fancy a day trip to Minehead on 1 June. 😀

Cheers,

Rob.

• Like 1