Plux22 / Digitrax Hassle

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've just bought two Bachmann Plux22 decoders to go into two Bachmann 47's. I'm using a Digitrax DT602. With everything else, I place on the programming track, change AD4 to the code I want and off they go. I'm having an issue with these two Plux22 in that I can't get the loco to move, I have followed the exact same process as usual - is there some other dark art to these that I'm missing, these are the first of these I've had to use. Note both decoders have been tried and neither work. Screen shot of the DT602. 

IMG_2825.jpeg

Edited by 33212

• RMweb Gold

First observation, text states you set AD2 (which seems to be short address) but image shows AD4 (long address) set and enabled. Are you actually calling up the correct address?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Kaput said:

First observation, text states you set AD2 (which seems to be short address) but image shows AD4 (long address) set and enabled. Are you actually calling up the correct address?

Yes sorry that was a typo, have changed it to AD4...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I’ve completed, I think, a reset on both Plux22 decoders - I followed your advice and got one to respond to AD2 address (set to 0008) and the loco slowly picked up speed to full power but would not respond to any input. The other decoder would not even do that. I’ve tested the loco on DC and its run ok. At a loss now and will send the decoders back to the vendor, maybe they can test them.

thanks for your help

Matt

22 hours ago, 33212 said:

Hello,

I've just bought two Bachmann Plux22 decoders to go into two Bachmann 47's. I'm using a Digitrax DT602. With everything else, I place on the programming track, change AD4 to the code I want and off they go. I'm having an issue with these two Plux22 in that I can't get the loco to move, I have followed the exact same process as usual - is there some other dark art to these that I'm missing, these are the first of these I've had to use. Note both decoders have been tried and neither work. Screen shot of the DT602. 

opps was thinking of extended slots

Edited by Andymsa

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

CV29=46? So you are using Railcom? If not, make it 38.

its a Digitrax, it changes it itself, the number changes to something different if I put in a different 4 digit code. I'll try and adjust. thanks

I explained CV29 over a dozen years ago... 

https://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

Correctly fitted (you have put them in the right way round ?) the decoders should run the loco without lots of faffing.  

DCC system, unless you've done something odd to it to put locos into Consists, should be fine.  Possibly consider a system stack reset (think that's Op-Switch 36, consult the Digitrax manual).  

Thereafter, ask the supplier to explain why the decoders don't work.   You've bought a Bachmann Loco, with the recommended Bachmann badged decoder to go into it.   (The decoder should be decent, its a Zimo with Bachmann packaging). 

And, just to avoid confusion:   Digitrax systems don't do RailCom.    However, a Zimo decoder will likely be shipped with RailCom enabled, as its a European decoder, and European systems tend to support RailCom.    And the RailCom setting shouldn't matter.
(Digitrax systems can do channel-1 of RailCom with additional hardware, but you need to be a DCC-nerd to know what hardware is needed )

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 33212 said:

Hi

I’ve completed, I think, a reset on both Plux22 decoders - I followed your advice and got one to respond to AD2 address (set to 0008) and the loco slowly picked up speed to full power but would not respond to any input. The other decoder would not even do that. I’ve tested the loco on DC and its run ok. At a loss now and will send the decoders back to the vendor, maybe they can test them.

thanks for your help

Matt

I'd be trying disabling DC running in CV29 based on getting one of them to respond for a bit.

I also recommend investing in a decoder tester (Both Zimo and ESU do one or if you are really cheap considering its basically a clone of the ESU one, LaisDCC do them as well). Very handy to test decoders out of locos.

Unlikely to matter but could be a similar issue, the new tooling Class 47 I had (got rid cause I really need to stop getting big huge locos on a 6x4 roundy layout) almost always refused to program via my Lokprogrammer but if the decoder was removed and programmed outside of the loco it was fine.

One thing just dawned me, what is the Bachmann product code of your decoders? The B versions are the new MN decoders and my honest opinion of the Zimo MS/MN series just now is the firmware is extremely half baked compared with the MX and they just seem much more flakey.

Edited by Kaput

I've had two faulty Zimo Plux 22 decoders (albeit not rebadged Bachmann ones) recently and the supplier had experienced others. The 2nd was a replacement for the first. I needed a particular decoder type for testing, and the Plux22 was all that was available at the time. I replaced that 2nd one at my own cost with an 8-pin decoder, as I couldn't be 100% sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The supplier has now taken the 2nd Plux22 decoder back, which reminds me I must chase them up to see if I am due a refund for that one.

Definitely talk to the supplier.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, these are 36-570B, have got movement, managed to get cv29 to 38 and found that cv 3 and 4 at the default setting of 45 and 50 meant it crept along then took ages to slow, so changed these to 5, much better - worked both directions as expected and was zooming around, have put the body back on and now loco dead again!

Having spent hours on what should be plug and play, highly tempted to send the loco back to Cornwall and the chip back to Sheffield.

thanks for your help with this one and all.

• RMweb Premium

Right given up, both locos (47484 & 526) neither work with either of the two chips, sending chips back. Both locos work fine on analogue with the blanking plates in. I’ve soft cleared both chips and reset the cv’s to factory and the issue is the same as before. Odd that 484 worked for 2

minutes then stopped when I screwed the body on!