Hornby Class 56

I have a 10 year old Class 56 (EWS Livery) which has been stored for most of that time. Taking it out to run and inserting a programmed 8-pin decoder, the motor does not run, there is a loud humming noise and no movement. Is it possible to get detailed information on how to take the loco apart? I am quite happy tod do this but would welcome some loco specific information. Not even sure if the problem is with the motor/drive train or the circuit board. Help appreciated.

E. E.

Class 56 Service Sheet

This is the DCC ready version breakdown pdf....

I have a few, all of which seemed to 'gum-up' after time. The original grease in the gear towers, indeed throughout the gear mechanism seems to dry out and jam everything -  you can check by disconnecting the cardan shafts / universal joints ( item 11 in PDF ) from the motor and checking that the motor runs when disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain.

Earlier examples also had a cooler group fan assembly which ran via a rubber belt looped over the motor flywheel - These always seem to affect running on my examples too, so I disconnected them. They weren't fitted to DCC Sound examples as that's where the speaker was positioned - I noted on Hornby's current service sheet ( 310H ) they are missing too, so perhaps they were omitted in later examples of the 56.

Four screws hold the body on, as you will have encountered while fitting the 'chip. Lights always seem to be an issue after body removal for me - those early contacts were never reliable after the first body separation...

*EDIT - should say there is a bit of a knack to getting the UJ's back into the motor or gear tower connections after separation   - the most important tool required is patience !

Edited by steviesparx