Log Cabins/sheds?

7 hours ago, Andymsa said:

I note you mentioned about felt and ripping, when you need to replace it think about an under felt or tanking membrane which you felt over. Done propley the roof should last many years.

Never been a fan of shed felt roofing, have used red cedar shingles, on my summer house, fixed to battens, fixed to counter battens, fixed to the felt roof, my workshop and one shed I have used slates, (actually a moulded slate/resin product) and this shed, a bought in Southern Sheds product, to which I fixed plastic coated corrugated steel roofing to, fortunately I have a large garden, the brick retaining wall, I am standing on, was originally built by the SER, now runs through the middle of my garden, there is a waterproof membrane protecting the shed from the damp wall.

IMG_0734.JPG

Edited by fulton
correction

8 minutes ago, fulton said:

Never been a fan of shed felt roofing, have used red cedar shingles, on my summer house, fixed to battens, fixed to counter battens, fixed to the felt roof, my workshop and one shed I have used slates, (actually a moulded slate/resin product) and this shed, a bought in Southern Sheds product, to which I fixed plastic coated corrugated steel roofing to, fortunately I have a large garden, the brick retaining wall, I am standing on, was originally built by the SER, now runs through the middle of my garden..

IMG_0734.JPG

Very nice indeed, I did look at the same myself but as I got roof valleys and one is multi angled due to two different roof pitches and I wanted to put roof vents half way down the roof I stuck with shingles, they are rated with over a 30 year lifespan. The same ones I took off after 24 years still had good life in them.

ps does it sound like a machine gun during heavy rain 😊

Edited by Andymsa

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Log cabin experience: I have mine now for 10 years, it needs of course painting every other year. It is Billy-oh Devon with 44mm walls, double glazing, roof and floor in 19mm wood. It stands on a concrete base. The roof is insulated with 75mm PIR board. I am rather happy with it, the only thing that happened was that after a few years the roof started sagging. I corrected this with two roof trusses, since than no trouble. Invest in proper roof tiles (bitumen tiles, everything else is too heavy. I used Katepal roofing shingles). After 10 years mine looks still good. 

Shed from its creation onwards: 

53647527739_96d1440a89_z.jpgDSC00777 

53647404088_751a194ba7_z.jpgUntitled 

53647404098_decd71f4a7_z.jpg20141205_085000 

And today. You can see my layout is packed up, going to Royston tomorrow.

53647417433_d511d47e5b_z.jpgIMG20240411175938 

Temperature: the roof insulation is a must. 

What would I have done differently if I would have know before: The floor out of 19mm boards is rubbish. Hard to clean because of the gaps between boards, and also the nails are coming out. I would go for a damp proof particle floor board, 22mm,  and some durable lino. 

Edited by Vecchio
wrong photo... grrrr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for all your input guys 👍

I dont know how quickly things will progress but I think a Custom self build is the way I am going to go. 

I think the foundation of choice will now be ground screws. Perfectly sturdy and strong with the right structural timbers on the base.