Loco identification from a distance? Tiny photo - Forth Bridge C1952

I recently found a very small snapshot (it's about an inch x an inch) in my Mum's photograph shoe-box which was taken in about 1952 whilst my parents were on a motorbike tour of Scotland. The photo shows a train (heading south) on the approach girders of the Forth Bridge.

ForthApproachC1952.jpg.bf933188cfd0daac376e610645e024a7.jpg

I've scanned it as best I can, but I still can't quite make out what the loco is.

It looks to be a 4-4-0  "D-something or other", but I thought someone on here might be able to help more positively?

I realize it might be beyond identifying, but I'd just be interested if anyone can tell me what my Dad photographed some 70-odd years ago - no other reason than that, really.

Silhouette looks like a MR 3F or 4F to me  however I'll bow to more learned visitors to this site.

If you can find the distance between the visible uprights on the bridge handrails or between the cross members then you may be able to estimate the major dimensions to a reasonable degree. e.g. chimney to dome or smoke box to back of tender, if you are that determined! :-)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Silhouette looks like a MR 3F or 4F to me  however I'll bow to more learned visitors to this site.

If you can find the distance between the visible uprights on the bridge handrails or between the cross members then you may be able to estimate the major dimensions to a reasonable degree. e.g. chimney to dome or smoke box to back of tender, if you are that determined! :-)

Thanks.

I was thinking maybe an NB D30 or similar? I can 'almost' make out a full splasher and half of one - as per a compound or 2P?

I'm also not at all sure if 3 or 4Fs were commonly hauling passenger stock over that line? (not saying they didn't though!)

ScR was richly equipped with the past 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 designs of the LMS and LNER constituents and added their own designs; and the bridge was a shared route from time of construction. So most probably one of those...

It's got quite a tall chimney and dome, from the LNER inheritance it could be a GNoSR 4-4-0, a D40 or D41, well off its usual beat. Was your father interested in railway matters? That might have motivated him to take a picture of an unexpected loco...

https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d40.php

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Was your father interested in railway matters?

No, not really - he was more interested in aircraft and navy - he wouldn't have had a clue what the engine was. The only time I remember him talking anything about railway was him saying how he saw a filthy black 'Mallard' at Kings Cross when traveling from camp in the RAF.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by billy_anorak59
thanks
  • Friendly/supportive 1