Model shops in Hamburg

• RMweb Gold

Not strictly a modelling help topic, but I’m off to Hamburg next week for a few days, primarily to visit Miniature Wunderland, plus time for a Beatles memory lane trip, few beers, sightseeing etc.

Just wondered if anyone knew of decent model shops in Hamburg. Not that I want any non-UK models, but as I use Roco and Yamorc DCC kit, maybe I could pick up items which are out of stock here at present.

thanks

ian

6 minutes ago, ITG said:

Not strictly a modelling help topic, but I’m off to Hamburg next week for a few days, primarily to visit Miniature Wunderland, plus time for a Beatles memory lane trip, few beers, sightseeing etc.

Just wondered if anyone knew of decent model shops in Hamburg. Not that I want any non-UK models, but as I use Roco and Yamorc DCC kit, maybe I could pick up items which are out of stock here at present.

thanks

ian

when I went to miniature wunderland just before covid, I found 5 shops. One of them was closed unfortunately which did look interesting, I’m not able to tell you where they are but just do an internet search and your find them. Two of them were very good I found, I could have spent a fortune but was limited to what I could carry in hand luggage onto the plane.

As a side note off to Dortmund next week for the intermodellbau, not my first time but am concerned it’s not the show it was as a number of big sellers according to the floor plan are absent.

• Informative/Useful 1

When I was in Hamburg back in October, I visited 2 model shops.

The best was Uwe Hesse, a very short walk from Landwehr S-Bahn station. Excellent stocks of many ranges, but check opening times before you visit. They didn't re-open, after lunch, until 3 p.m..

I also visited Zuge und Mehr, on the Altstadter Strasse, close to the Hauptbahnhof. I was disappointed, as the shelves had many spaces which I would have thought could have carried more extensive stocks.

Also, with regard to Miniatur Wunderland, I suggest you book advance tickets, and aim to go as early as you can, to be in there before it gets busy. It was suggested to me that I book for more than one day, so I booked tickets for 3 days, and used them all! Being in my 60s, it was the amount of time I could stand that governed how long I spent there, but managed at least 6 hours on each day, and definitely did not get bored at any time - there is an incredible amount to see.

Edited by Mike at C&M
Spelling mistake
  • Agree 1

Thanks to the OP and others for this thread. Going there for work in July and looking to add a couple of personal days (including minatur wunderland with my father). Very helpful. 

• Tempfix

I took the family last year. One tip on tickets - there were none available for the time period we wanted to go on the day we were able to, so we bought some small upgrade - a 5 minute VR experience or some such that we didn't end up doing anyway. It was only a little extra but made our tickets valid for any time of the day so we were able to just turn up when ready and go straight in.

Fantastic though - could have stayed for the week.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all,

we bought advance tickets back in December last year, and even then there wasn’t a full range of time options for our dates. So we are booked at 3pm, no other earlier choice.

Ian

20 hours ago, Andymsa said:

As a side note off to Dortmund next week for the intermodellbau, not my first time but am concerned it’s not the show it was as a number of big sellers according to the floor plan are absent.

Im going there myself and haven't been since 2019. Just had a look at floor plan. It looks like part of hall 7 has been given over to a Lego section rather than traders. Not seen Lego at Intermodelbau before. I’m still confident I’ll be able to spend my duty free allowance!

9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Im going there myself and haven't been since 2019. Just had a look at floor plan. It looks like part of hall 7 has been given over to a Lego section rather than traders. Not seen Lego at Intermodelbau before. I’m still confident I’ll be able to spend my duty free allowance!

Like you I also went in 2019 . yes I noticed that as well about hall 7, what really concerns me a number of bigger traders like Roco, marklin, sommerfeldt ect are not there, as well a some smaller traders. I’m in a dialema how many days to attend. But on a plus side I found a couple of railway shops to visit in Dortmund.

8 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Like you I also went in 2019 . yes I noticed that as well about hall 7, what really concerns me a number of bigger traders like Roco, marklin, sommerfeldt ect are not there, as well a some smaller traders. I’m in a dialema how many days to attend. But on a plus side I found a couple of railway shops to visit in Dortmund.

Just had a look, Marklin and Roco (Modeleisenbahn GmbH) are both there in hall 4. 

20 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Just had a look, Marklin and Roco (Modeleisenbahn GmbH) are both there in hall 4. 

That’s interacting as I’m looking on the intermodellbau website, where are you looking 

ps Roco were further down the list. Still can’t find sommerfeldt 

Edited by Andymsa

8 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

That’s interacting as I’m looking on the intermodellbau website, where are you looking 

ps Roco where further down the list. Still can’t find sommerfeldt 

Been on their website and looked at one of their news letters and it says they will not be attending this year.

Looks like there will be a few of us at Intermodelbau, that Dresden Dampfloktreffen is the weekend before meant I could do both, and then as it happens I decided to go onward to... Hamburg!

Jon

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Looks like there will be a few of us at Intermodelbau, that Dresden Dampfloktreffen is the weekend before meant I could do both, and then as it happens I decided to go onward to... Hamburg!

Jon

Green with envy, as I’m driving Hamburg is a bit to far

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2024 at 16:21, Erichill16 said:

Been on their website and looked at one of their news letters and it says they will not be attending this year.

am pleased to report Roco are in attendance. Although a good show, the size of it has certainly reduced especially for planes and boats. A number of traders present before Covid for railway items has reduced aswell.