Dismantling Bachmann Mk1 BSK

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to get into a Bachmann Mk1 BSK. I've removed the bogies and coupling assembly etc, which leaves me with the three screws which attach the chassis to the interior seating. These seem to have been over-tightened to the point where I've managed to do a good job of chewing one of the screw heads. That one looks like it might be a drilling out job. I'd prefer not to have to drill out all 3, as presumably I'd need to fix the chassis to the body in a different way. I'm also wary of using force so close to the delicate underframe. If anyone has run into the same problems, I'd be interested to know how you solved them?

Thanks in advance

You could retap the floor for a bigger screw after you've got it apart. I have a couple of my coaches with a screw missing from factory overtightening, its not really a big issue as these coaches clip together quite well without them, especially once the pipes are back in place.

You could retap the floor for a bigger screw after you've got it apart. I have a couple of my coaches with a screw missing from factory overtightening, its not really a big issue as these coaches clip together quite well without them, especially once the pipes are back in place.

I've found a couple of Bachmann mk1's (thankfully purchasd for parting out) have had GLUED, yes GLUED screws. A small amount of glue placed on the screw head meaning it won't budge against the chassis. I ended up having to break one end of the chassis, and rotate the interior round until it wound out, then press the screw out. What idotic manufacturing practices! My guess is this *might* be your problem.

Whatever the cuase, what you could try is a 'screw extractor' available from maplins (and no doubt other retailers):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=99849

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=267009

designed for removing screws with stripped heads, the remover has a reverse thread on it, and screws in to the screw head anti-clockwise, thus transferring its force to unscrew the screw. More force on screw = further bite by the remover. Can't say 100% it will work, but used carefully it may do the trick (I've not tried mine on v.small screws yet).

Worth a shot. I just can't be POZItive if it will TORX the talk. Hope this comment is a useful addition to the THREAD.

Alpha Fox

, the remover has a reverse thread on it, and screws in to the screw head anti-clockwise, thus transferring its force to unscrew the screw. More force on screw = further bite by the remover. Can't say 100% it will work, but used carefully it may do the trick (I've not tried mine on v.small screws yet).

Worth a shot. I just can't be POZItive if it will TORX the talk. Hope this comment is a useful addition to the THREAD.

Alpha Fox

Screw extractors are supposed to be used in a drilled hole. I doubt they would work too well in a screw slot. I have never seen one small enough for modelling screws as the force they exert is awesome and would shear or irretrievably mangle the head leaving the problem in situ. They are also made of very high carbon steel (or should be) and break easily if the slightest sideways movement is applied.

I think it is not intended that the seating be removed. The coach body and windows come off anyway leaving the seating attached to the chassis. Removing it might well make the chassis far too floppy. If you are going this far with mods it might be better to buy a kit and make it yours. I fitted Bachmann bogies to my Comet coach.

I think it is not intended that the seating be removed. The coach body and windows come off anyway leaving the seating attached to the chassis. Removing it might well make the chassis far too floppy. If you are going this far with mods it might be better to buy a kit and make it yours. I fitted Bachmann bogies to my Comet coach.

The seating is supposed to attach the sides to the floor tightly so you really should remove the screws to get the floor split from the sides although sometimes the sides can pop out without completely removing the floor screws.

I assumed the OP was putting it all back together again afterward? I'd agree the seating is an integral part of the models though you could chop them flat or replace the moulding with some brass sheet with nuts on it at the correct points I think.

The model is being converted to an NNX courier vehicle, so there's some cut and shut to be done. I ended up drilling out the screws, at the mo I'm thinking I'll just glue the sides to the chassis and clip the roof on.

Archived