Manually worked level crossing gates locked from signalbox GWR

• RMweb Gold

At Williton on the WSR, the level crossing gates adjacent to the box are worked by hand, not by a gate wheel. Once the gates are across the road, then they are bolted by a lever in the box.

When I first started as a signalman at Williton in 1984, the gates were closed by hand, then locked with a hand lever on the gate. This lever was connected to a long rod that reached back to the hinge post: moving the handle moved the rod that then caused a simple bolthole at the hinge post to rotate to line up to take the bolt that was operated by the lever from the box. I always thought this was a weak mechanism, the rod always seems whippy and if things were worn, then i think the gates could have been opened even when bolted. At some point this mechanism has been replaced with a much neater solution that just locks the catch - the attached pic is fairly self-explanatory.

I presume that the original design was of GWR origin, maybe even B&E as the gate locking dates from the 1870s. 

I also presume that the current mechanism is a more modern BR(W) design?

I cannot now remember when the locking was updated, i guess it was more than 20 years ago. Its a pity as the original was (I presume) a heritage feature that was unceremoniously ripped out and discarded.

Can anyone add any details on GWR or BR(W) manual level crossing gate bolting mechanisms?

20240412_121113.jpg.9be7fb2313f52eb2c425f554abe18879.jpg