RMweb

BR large logo blue livery elements

Hi,

I would be very grateful to any of the knowledgeable folk on here who can please help me confirm what is required with respect to below.

I am ok with the yellow and blue elements, I see the roof colour is specified by Dagworth in a similar post just down thread.

So its just a confirmation of any other livery elements. (Have I missed anything?)

Thanks very much,

Cheers 

TT100 Diesels

PS - I did try a search but failed to nail it, my apologies if this post appears to be a lazy way out 🤔

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Just posted then saw a roof colour post, so suitably amended my post

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Large logo was generally:

BR Blue

BR Yellow

Goose Grey (roof)

The mid/light grey roof generally weathered to a darker shade with soot from the exhausts.

Class 50s were the big exception - several large-logo blue locos had black roofs, others had black panels with cab roofs being blue. Twelve class 47 appeared with a blue roof.

There were also some non-standard versions such as 37116 and 37361.

Steven B

Edited by Steven B

Thanks Steven, 

That is good to know. I should have been more specific, I am looking at LL class 37/4 as out shopped in the mid /ok late 80's.

Was the window surround and bonnet top Black or a very very dark shade of Grey?

Cheers

D.

• RMweb Premium

Window frames and bonnet top would be black - a very dark grey (Humbrol 32?) would give a nice weathered effect. I use very light grey (Humbrol 147) in place of white for the same reason.

With the 37s, the roof started out as light grey but soon weathered to near black - if you're not comfortable applying weathering then a dark grey wouldn't look out of place.

Steven B

Quick question if anyone can help on the same topic? I think 56036 was the first to be painted in LL at Stratford. At the time this was described as an experimental livery. When Doncaster outshopped 56084 onwards and the refurbished 50's starting with 50023 Howe is was described as slightly revised livery. I have spent 45 years trying to work out how the slightly revised version differed.

Anyone know?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keysan said:

I think 56036 was the first to be painted in LL

Famously so, although I had no idea it was done at Stratford. It was the only one for about a year, as I recall.

It's very difficult to spot anything obviously different between 56036 and later large logo repaints. Each class of locomotive had the large logo livery applied differently, to suit the locomotive bodywork. The biggest differences were in the positions of the numbers and logo, but there were also differences in the black window mask and the extent of the yellow. Class 56s, for example, had a yellow band between the black and the roof all the way round the front, whereas class 50s only had this yellow band above the side windows, which were set lower than the windscreens (the black was extended downwards below the windows on the cab sides, too). Class 37s, of course, were very different from classes 47/50/56, having black bonnet tops and blue cab doors. Then there are elements that weren't really part of the large logo livery, such as orange cantrail stripes, which the 50s had (not sure if all of them did), but the 56s mostly did not (56126 appears to have had an orange stripe above the blue body sides, but not above the yellow ends). On top of this were the usual crop of non-standard variations, such as 56s with unpainted window frames (56103, for example), and the addition of 3-digit numbers to loco fronts (many/most class 56s), as well as the different roof colours mentioned by @Steven B earlier.

The only thing I can see that's different between 56036 and later class 56s is that the black window surround is rather narrow, making the yellow band above the windows wider than on later locomotives, but I would hesitate to say there was a conscious change to make the black wider - it could easily be different paint shops doing things slightly differently.

Thanks for all the replies folks, as ever, exact liveries can be a minefield. But some fascinating info provided.

It is funny though, I think (assume) I know the livery and details of a class, but suddenly when needing to do some modelling, hmmm, suddenly not quite so sure! 

Well, thanks to the info provided, I am happy with what I need to do for a LL 37/4 in terms of livery element colours.

Thanks again folks,

cheers

TT100 Diesels

• 2 weeks later...

As I started this thread asking questions, and found the answers useful in the actual job in hand, here are a couple of pictures of the 37/4 straight out of the paint shop, before decals and weathering.

DSCF7341.jpg.5563b966970c2ba0bbf4b1e0cd1005cc.jpg

General view of the four main livery elements.

DSCF7342.jpg.5ee6eb83f449cda073881852a9a76b37.jpg

It destined to be 37403 "Isle of Mull"

Thanks again for the replies up thread,

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1