RMweb

EFE Rail Pacer and Hornby TXS Sound Decoder

Eyuppp

Hi,

I wondered if anybody had fitted a Hornby TXS decoder into an EFE pacer?  According to the Hornby website their next18 decoder does not meet NEM662 requirements and I haven't been able to find out how much space there is inside the EFE pacer decoder slot.

Thanks

JP

Fab, thanks.  I'll get one ordered, I was just hesitant because I couldn't figure out whether it would fit or not.  Can't beat asking someone who's done it! :o)

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 20:24, jonnyuk said:

Yep I’ve got one in the GWR version and it’s great, used the class 153 profile (I think).  No issues with size, running or lighting 

According to the Hornby web site they have not yet released the sound profile for the class 153 yet. Class 153 and 121 due sometime this year.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bob83a said:

According to the Hornby web site they have not yet released the sound profile for the class 153 yet. Class 153 and 121 due sometime this year.

can't remember what profile i used, it was a dmu of some sort

Hi Bob, 

You're right, 153 and 121 due later this year... but I was keen to try TXS and pacer needed a decoder.

Anyway I can confirm what Jonny said and the NEXT18 decoder does fit in the EFE pacer, no problems.  The only issue I did find with the TXS decoder was that it initially was listed as a resettable device but turns out this is an issue with the android app.   Forcing stop on the app and restarting it then resulted in the decoder being discoverable.

I'm using a HST profile at the moment :o)  LOL...  actually I'm quite impressed... initial app issues aside it works with my Bachmann controller as well as over Bluetooth using the app (track powered using the Bachmann basic DCC controller).  Sound is a bit 'light' but I was under no illusion that the EFE pacer out of the box didn't have a great speaker.  All in all for £60 compared to £100 I'm pleased...  in the future I may try and improve the speaker bass response but I don't like modifying loco's I've paid full price for.

The fact I can change the sound profiles is another bonus as I can move the chip to other loco's and reblow it myself.

• Friendly/supportive 1