RMweb

You Tube. Removing all those thumbnail suggestions under the main image.

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hi all

As the title says

You Tube has started filling the space under every video image with loads of suggestions in thumbnail form.

Mostly are not relevant.

It means that any info under the video from the poster is lost.

I used to get information about the stream/video and/or it's location but these are now gone

How do I get rid of them?

Edited by melmerby

• melmerby changed the title to You Tube. Removing all those thumbnail suggestions under the main image.
  • RMweb Premium

I am not sure what you are seeing? Are you viewing on a phone or tablet?

On a pc, the main YouTube page (url begins https://www.youtube.com) displays for me the same as it always has, with the uploader's description below the video and the comments (if enabled) below that. Recommendations are on the right, unless I've made the window particularly narrow, in which case they come between the description and the comments.

However, many websites (incluing RMWeb) now have embedded YouTube videos, and these might surround the video with anything. Google does this, and if you click on the image of a video from a Google search, you get taken to a Google page, not to YouTube. There is no description, and instead there are "related topics" below the video. The url in the address bar will begin https://www.google.com/ rather than https://www.youtube.com . To get to the YouTube page, click on the YouTube text, bottom right. To get to the YouTube page from a Google search window, click on the text rather than the image.

Your description doesn't sound like a Google page, but perhaps it is some other website that embeds YouTube videos.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Using a PC

When on a webcam site after selecting a particular stream I get this:

capture4.JPG.db815b1563e0747126daecdcfff4f3b6.JPG

I used to get a description of the cam and it's location plus other site news.

I just get a load of irrelevant thumbnails now.

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

As the title says

You Tube has started filling the space under every video image with loads of suggestions in thumbnail form.

Mostly are not relevant.

It means that any info under the video from the poster is lost.

I used to get information about the stream/video and/or it's location but these are now gone

How do I get rid of them?

Sounds like how my Kindle changed last week.

Also no longer have my watch list displayed and, whereas previously, the display would stay on full screen for a whole series of videos, it now automatically changes back to small screen after each one. 

AnnoyIng and unnecessary changes that I haven't found a way to amend.

• RMweb Premium

Google tends to roll out changes, so they're not inflicted on everyone at once, so you may get lucky with avoiding them for a while. If you block cookies it can be a bit random wether or not they're forced on you each time you look.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I don't subscribe to any channels, though. Is this something the channel owner has done?

Even some channels I don't subscribe to are affected.

Seems to be device specific

My laptop (same operating system as desktop), doesn't get them

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Using a PC

When on a webcam site after selecting a particular stream I get this:

capture4.JPG.db815b1563e0747126daecdcfff4f3b6.JPG

I used to get a description of the cam and it's location plus other site news.

I just get a load of irrelevant thumbnails now.

Hi Keith,

Have you tried NoScript as an add-on / extension?

It’s a bit of a faff initially, as it blocks a lot of scripts on pages, and you have to selectively ‘allow’ each script access (either on a permanent basis which will allow it on all websites in the future, or on a temporary basis, which is just for that browsing session. The next time you fire up your browser that particular script will be blocked again).

I really like the extension, been using it for a few years. As a head’s up, you’ll initially find that a lot of pages won’t load fully, and can be a slight inconvenience when making payments, but it will learn as you use it. It is amazing how many scripts there are on website, gathering who-knows-what. I like taking some control back on what my PC sends to 3rd parties.

I’m not sure if NoScript will be the solution to this problem, but it might be worth a look.

• RMweb Gold

Seems they are testing a new interface design on a "small" number of users - https://www.wfla.com/news/national/youtube-is-testing-a-new-layout-the-internet-hates-it/

The URL of the above link says what most people who got it think of it.

I am one of the small number as well. Can't say I hate it (not used to it though) yet but I am not liking the growing number of adverts and poor choice of suggestions these days.

Rob

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30851 said:

Seems they are testing a new interface design on a "small" number of users - https://www.wfla.com/news/national/youtube-is-testing-a-new-layout-the-internet-hates-it/

I am one of the small number as well. Can't say I hate it (not used to it though) yet but I am not liking the growing number of adverts and poor choice of suggestions these days.

Rob

I had to use a VPN set to Chicago to get onto that page! Plain "USA" didn't work.🙂

I agree with those comments it is a PITA

By moving comments to the right and loading thumbnails under the main image they have erased the extra info many sites put about the stream directly under it.

Also the thumbnails seem totally random and not connected to the actual stream

e.g. Why does a live stream of a railway have thumbnails about truck crashes,  weird natural events and unclogging a drain!

IMHO they have totally broken it.

How do I complain?

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

IMHO they have totally broken it.

How do I complain?

Click on the three horizontal lines (aka "hamburger") icon at the top left of the YouTube web page and scroll down to the bottom of the pop-out menu and you should see the option circled below:

Screenshot2024-04-21at14_09_18.png.1858fc65a9b55994ce052f8be219cada.png

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

However on a PC (win 11) where YT hasn't been "updated" i get this:

Screenshot2024-04-21193249.png.9b2d91eb7019402a89e43440fefcdeeb.png

Looks like the option to complain has been removed on the new version.

I shall have to investigate further.😃

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I have the new version AND the option to send feedback! They must be scanning what I said above and noted that I didn't say I hated it yet. Maybe I should say I hate it and see if the feedback option disappears.

Rob 

image.png.249a7aa9801c8c43add10a5d15df8825.png

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Found it. Thanks for persevering.

I have to change the view and then there is a scrolling bar which isn't obvious.

It only appeared when I happened to move the mouse over it, else the bottom half of the options is not visible.

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2024 at 20:33, 30851 said:

Cue the usual defence of "people don't like change" (in which case don't change anything without a very good reason!) Things like this are why people don't like change.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Cue the usual defence of "people don't like change" (in which case don't change anything without a very good reason!) Things like this are why people don't like change.

I have duly sent Google my opinion of these changes.

Why change somthing so that it removes a site's content from the page?

e.g. under the Duluth Canal Cam there was a list of the other cams in the network with links.

duluth.JPG.4d4e68c77e9d275c6c84aabb38b9fc1b.JPG

And a lot more

All this has gone in the new version, I can't see the content providers being happy with a change like this.