Bachmann Class 25 with Sound

Apologies if this has been a topic before, but seeing that Rails are offering a good price for the sound fitted 25's,are there any views out there as to the sound quality of the product ? I have heard that it is Baccys best to date.

I have a 20 & Deltic that are factory sound fitted and are good. My 25 has a SWD but I think that if you have many locos of the same type fitted with sound it's an idea to get different makers of sound chips so that there are differences between the locos.

If the price is right buy it. If you feel that there are better siounds like SWD or Howes you can always get it re-blown.

I bought this earlier this year, my first sound loco. Sounds seem to be excellent, but...

The instructions say that F11 will cycle the volume through 4 levels. However it seems to just switch the sound on and off, just as F1 does. Are the instructions wrong, or should I be doing something different?

(Controller is Bachmann Dynamis)

Also, how do I access the F7 output, otherwise unused?

I bought this earlier this year, my first sound loco. Sounds seem to be excellent, but...

The instructions say that F11 will cycle the volume through 4 levels. However it seems to just switch the sound on and off, just as F1 does. Are the instructions wrong, or should I be doing something different?

(Controller is Bachmann Dynamis)

Also, how do I access the F7 output, otherwise unused?

View the thread "ESU 3.5 vol/mute" in the DCC Sound section

To get the vol adjust to work on F11 - Set the F11 Button to momentary (Non-latching) on the Dynamis. Each brief press of F11 will then adjust the vol thru 4 levels - 16/32/48/64max. Holding F11 down when the loco is moving will "mute" the sound, on releasing the button the sound will return again. Doing the same with the loco stationary (sound ON) the loco will shut down/restart.

As far as accessing the F7 output, it really depends on what you want it to do, as there are 6 possible control options (CV's). The Bach 25 I have to hand has Shunt/Inertia On/Off enabled on F7 as standard ?? F8 being unused/spare ?

HTH

Ken

To get the vol adjust to work on F11 - Set the F11 Button to momentary (Non-latching) on the Dynamis. Each brief press of F11 will then adjust the vol thru 4 levels - 16/32/48/64max. Holding F11 down when the loco is moving will "mute" the sound, on releasing the button the sound will return again. Doing the same with the loco stationary (sound ON) the loco will shut down/restart.

Ah, now that makes sense...

As far as accessing the F7 output, ... F8 being unused/spare ?

HTH

Ken

Yes, of course, I meant F8. As it's a built-in decoder, is there a solder pad or other connector somewhere that I can connect a wire to in order to use the F8 output?

View the thread "ESU 3.5 vol/mute" in the DCC Sound section

As far as accessing the F7 output, it really depends on what you want it to do, as there are 6 possible control options (CV's). The Bach 25 I have to hand has Shunt/Inertia On/Off enabled on F7 as standard ?? F8 being unused/spare ?

HTH

Ken

Interesting after reading this post, I tried my Deltic sound via F11 button with by Power Cab and it shut down and restarted as you say (at a stand).

But when I came to start Deltic again (the next day), it did n't work correctly and sound would come on if I lifted loco off the track and put back down, but would not drive.Then when I got it to drive the sound would n't come on, so I moved it to my Prog Track and tapped in the Deltic address and it worked first time.

I then deleted original address from Power Cab and tapped in fresh address and it all worked properly.

So by deleting entry solved my problem, strange.

Cheers

Stu

• 1 year later...

ive noticed that Bachmann do class 25 D5183 product code 32-330DS with the stripe under the yellow warning panel.

but ive also noticed that they do the same loco number and product code but without the stripe under the warning panel.

ive seen photos of d5183 both with and without the strip at the front so both versions seem to be correct

question is, how do you know which one you will get?

• 3 weeks later...

just bumping this, i was tempted to buy one of these but was drawn to the peak instead at the time, im still interested in the 25 but the sync of the sound on the peak to the movement of the model isnt good at all, im getting the peak reblown at the moment but im wondering if the 25 suffers with the same thing?

In that regard, the 25 is definitely better than the Peak. Of all the Bachmann sound locos I have either owned or tried out, the 25 would have to be one of the most driveable: it is also one of the few Bachmann sound locomotives I don't actually own! Many of the others have lovely sounds but are not well synched and therefore not very driveable - I would include their classes 24, 37 and 44/45/46 in the latter category. The class 47 seems better but is still not brilliant for driveability, while the class 66 is better still.

All of the above is my own opinion and entirely subjective, as anything to do with sound seems to be. :)

Archived