Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which livery for mid 70s engine's

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, as I didn't have a clue where it should go, or even if it would be ok on the site.

I don't have a layout, I just collect various things for a nostalgic display case I have.

I live in South Wales, Cardiff.

In the mid 70s myself and a friend used to stand on a bridge overlooking the line from Cardiff Central and up to London etc.

There used to be various freight, and passenger coming through.

Does anyone know what mid 70s class 37, 47 and also a class 08 model/livery I should be looking for in 00? if there are any?

Rather than saying this and that, as I wouldn't have a clue, would it be possible to have a picture of each, and who makes it?

As I say, it's just for a display case.

Many thanks for any replies.

Steve (Now in his 60s 😁)

Almost all would be plain blue with yellow ends.

A few might still be green with yellow ends, but these would be very rare by the mid 70s (mainly a few 25s, 40s and 47s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

A few might still be green with yellow ends, but these would be very rare by the mid 70s (mainly a few 25s, 40s and 47s).

... and don't forget the 'wasp' stripe ends on the 08 mentioned in the OP, and likewise for any other small shunters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fezza said:

Blue with yellow ends do stick in my mind for the class 37, but a bit vague on the 47.

Blue with yellow ends for the 08, but I wasn't sure if there were particular variations....not a rivet counter by any means, but it would still bug me 😁 so close enough without any customisation needed.

I have essential tremor, so this would be out of the question anyway.

• RMweb Premium

The recent Bachmann model shows what a 37 would typically look like in the later 1970s.  The 'domino' headcode places it from 1976 onwards when headcode indicators went out of use.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/82781/35-303-Bachmann-Class-37-0-Centre-Headcode-37305-BR-Blue

And here is the brdatabase entry for it, which shows it may have based at Landore:

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=6605&loco=6605

9 hours ago, fezza said:

And very very dirty by the early-mid 1970s.

• RMweb Premium

On the models, the latest Bachmann Class 47 and 37, and Accurascale 37 are superb and if you want something special they're the ones to look for, however the last generation Bachmann 47 and 37 are still very good and probably more than good enough for most. The new Heljan 47 is a decent model but personally I prefer both the new and older Bachmann. A leftfield choice may be ViTrains, old now but if you see a nice one for sale the 47 especially was very nicely done. For the 08, both Bachmann and Hornby are excellent.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pengam Bridge?  My usual spotting haunt a decade earlier!

For the mid 70s almost entirely plain blue with full yellow ends, with some retaining their pre-TOPS numbers.  Dmus in blue/grey with fye, possibly some plain blue remaining.  A good variety of classes; 08, occasional 20, 25, 31, Hymek until 1975, 37, occasional 42 & 43 from Bristol direction, 45, 46, 47, 52. Dmus; 101, occasional 117 from Bristol, 119, 120.  Apart from the last two all are readily available as RTR models.  

Sorry to hear about your tremor, mate.  I live in Roath and would be happy to undertake any renumbering work for you, just PM me.  

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Dmus in blue/grey with fye, possibly some plain blue remaining

Apart from Inter-Citys, Cross Countrys and TransPennines, and a few oddities elsewhere (101s in Cornwall?), I didn't think blue and grey appeared on DMUs till 1978/9, after the white and blue refurbished livery was found not to wear so well. I think blue and grey was then applied to non-refurbished units as well.

White and blue refurbished livery started appearing on some classes of DMU from about 1975  (the prototype was done in 1974, as I recall).

• Agree 1