Proxxon pantograph information required please.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at further enhancing my toolset & i have been looking into pantographs. I want to make some parts for some small 7mm locomotives mainly the frames & curved parts. I have relied on friends to make parts up for me which is slow & hence why i am looking into it myself. The tools my friends have are large industrial sized pantographs which are a little large for my small workshop & probably a little bit overkill for myself.

I've been looking at the proxxon pantograph which looks pretty straight forward & simple to use. What i would like to know is how large the cutting plate is?
I watched a video where someone did a 2.1 reduction for 7mm parts & wondered if it can do some valances for a 7mm loco or a set of frames. Nothing is going to be above a 4-4-0 or 0-6-0 type engine all rather small pre grouping types too. 

I would like to know if it is going to be able to do the job before i invest some money in it & if it isn't are their any other options available without costing heaven & earth.

thanks for reading

I will check on the bed size later for you.....

It should be noted that you can't use it fir profiling straight out of the box, as it's a an engraver rather than a Miller. The two main differences are 

1. The element that you use to follow the pattern is pointed, and appropriate for V shaped engraving bits, and for profiling we need parallel cutters (0.8mm, 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.6mm or whatever diameter). Therefore the follower needs to be parallel, and twice the chosen cutter diameter if we are working to 2:1, which is the most practical ratio on this machine. This means it's a Lathe job to modify the follower to take drop-in 'nibs' of whatever diameter.....

2. A proper miller lifts or drops the table to adjust the cut depth, thus keeping the parallel linkage parallel with the table at all times. The proxxon, being what it is, has the parallel linkage hinged at the back, so the cut depth varies a little. This isn't the end of the world when you're profiling something out and you get used to it quite quickly - it's just a factor you consider.

I now tend to use my CNC machine instead, simply because I can, not because the Proxxon failed at what I intended. the Proxxon is not as good as a real Pantograph Milling machine by a long chalk, or as good as a CNC machine - but it's capable of surprisingly accurate work.

Note: the cheap D cutters I use (because I do break them!) Are never actually the size they are supposed to be, so I always cut a small test square to see what size they cut.....

Hi Giles

Thank you for your reply. I did wonder on the size when I looked at the pictures & what I intend on making. I might ask a friend what pantograph he has, I wasn't going to buy a big one but I suppose if I have it it'll get used & a proper one will do what I want it to.

Thank you for the help & information.