RMweb

Riverossi BigBoy chassis replacement

Hi all,

In my collection I own 3 1980's Riverossi articulated locos. Cab forward, Mallet and a BigBoy. The BigBoy chassis has suffered severe mazak rot while the other 2 are just fine. I am looking for a replacement chassis for the BigBoy. Hornby who now own Riverossi have been no help. The current BigBoy chassis does not fit and they do no carry any spares for such an old engine. Looking at the usual suspects for buying a new chassis has had no better luck. I want to fix this engine up as it has great sentimental value to me as these 3 loco's were part of my fathers collection. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Unfortunate timing with Hattons closing, as  s/h purchase is the most likely solution.

My 1971 purchase (from Victors, sigh) is catalogue number 1254 (from memory, packaging long lost) motor in the cab, largely pressed steel mechanism rolling chassis, no trouble with any mazak rot; in case that helps in the search for a good one. And its 'Rivarossi' to ensure your searches pick up everything available. ATBWI.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Unfortunate timing with Hattons closing, as  s/h purchase is the most likely solution.

My 1971 purchase (from Victors, sigh) is catalogue number 1254 (from memory, packaging long lost) motor in the cab, largely pressed steel mechanism rolling chassis, no trouble with any mazak rot; in case that helps in the search for a good one. And its 'Rivarossi' to ensure your searches pick up everything available. ATBWI.

Hi. Mine are all still their plastic cases with the clear plastic lid.  Strangely enough of the 3 it was only the BigBoy that had a sponge liner. The other 2 had plastic trays for the loco to sit in. The sponge had degraded quite badly as well and caused some damage to the bodywork and valve gear on one side as well. I managed to sort out that damage. But it made me wonder for some time if the degrading sponge had helped in the severity of the mazak rot. All three of mine came originally from Beatties.

Edited by cypherman

4 hours ago, cypherman said:

if the degrading sponge had helped in the severity of the mazak rot

It won't have had any effect. The cause is contamination by metals that should not be present within the alloy - particularly lead - introduced to the melt before it is used to make castings. This inevitably triggers a slow change* in the crystalline structure of the casting, which ultimately leads to disintegration of the casting. (Lead in direct contact with an uncontaminated mazak casting causes no problems.)

*When I did my reading on this subject it was a surprise that the change in the crystalline structure is promoted by low temperatures: a model with castings known or suspected to be liable to mazak rot, should be kept in warm conditions to slow the disintegration,

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, sncf231e said:

On this page (which can be read by using google translate) you can see the different version  RivaRossi made of the BigBoy and find out the catalogue number of your version:

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/Riva_Loco_Americane/Riva_Big_Boy.htm

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I did not know they made so many versions I do not have a problem getting the catalogue number. It is on the end of its plastic case.