Bristol & South Wales Freightliner traffic 1970s

3 hours ago, Downendian said:

I’d never considered this (the steel liner) a Freightliner working, but working time tables suggest differently.

I know you said you don’t do Facebook, but the railways in South Wales group (RiSW) is worth alone  joining Facebook for.

Just to make you aware, there is a nice Jim Sparks shot onthe FB group  'Railways in South Wales' of D1029 'Western Legionnaire' taking the Western Valleys line (Ebbw Vale) at Gaer Junction with 4C63, in August 1971.

It chows clearly the first, flat/bulkhead fitted container.

There is also a good photo by Brian Tucker, of a Cl.37 hauled 4C38 passing Cardiff in the 'up' direction

Also a 1967 Bob Masterman shot of D1924 climbing up to Cardiff General with a Stratford - Danygraig working complete with LMS brake carriage leading, and a load made up entirely of open/flat containers.

Also there is D1013 passing Cardiff with 4E70 16.13 Danygraig - Stratford on Friday 23rd July 1976. It had worked 4V66 Stratford - Danygraig Down that morning

There are far more related posts and images on the "RiSW" group.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Stoke West said:

The Park Royal originally ran to South Lambeth ,  coveying strip steel for Dagenham and Luton/ Dunstable

The traffic from Llanwern to both of those customers was cold reduced coil.   The spec for the Vauxhall coil was changed in 1973 and the thickness of the steel was reduced and some of what was sent there came back, badly mangled, for investigation as it was being damaged on the pressing machines.

Signed BR Steel Terminals Manager, Llanwern, early 1974 . (although I wasn't there for long asI was swiped to cover a job on the Western Valley whose occupant had gone sick)

• Like 1