Z21 (Black) controlling Heljan 89121 DCC Turntable

Hi everyone,

I hope someone has some useful experience of this.........

After too long trying (and failing) to get a decent performance from a Peco turntable, stepper motor etc. etc. I invested in a Heljan turntable which I'm very pleased with.

My question is how I control it with my Z21? There is no turntable icon in the app to build into my layout schematic and I haven't been able to find any instructions or write up anywhere.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Dan.

There is no specific turntable icon or control within the Z21 because it is a fairly complex task to control a turntable - especially when there are so many different controllers which all operate slightly differently - even if the end result is the same.

In many cases they operate by using turnout commands where 200 green would be a clockwise turn to track 200 and 200 red would be an anti clockwise turn to the same position. This enables a loco to be turned end for end. There are also controllers that allow you to simply step to the next position which would would implement using a button on the Z21 app.

The only way I know that might work with the Z21 app is to create the turnouts for the exit positions you have, but he start number for the index position will vary depending upon the type of turntable decoder in use. Stepping to the next position would clearly be easier.

You could also write to Roco and ask their advice, but quote the specific type of turntable and controller. They are very helpful and quite responsive.

Thanks for the quick response Iain.

The turntable I purchased has in-built DCC decoder and it's own controller, but one's chosen DCC system can talk to the turntable controller via the bus.

I hadn't considered contacting Roco but I'll give them a try.

Dan.

Dan, I know it 'talks' over the DCC bus, that is what turnout commands are also - instructions sent over the DCC bus 😉

Check out the instructions on how to address the TT using DCC commands, or search this site as you may find the answer you want in those places.