Baked Decoder.

Following a running session on my layout Peak Forest Revived I forgot to turn off the DCC Controller. Twenty four hours later my Hattons class 66, 66623, was observed to be sitting on the Up Main with its lights still on; however it proved totally unresponsive to any throttle or function inputs. Subsequently it moved forward for a couple of circuits of the layout, indicating that the motor was not cooked, but once halted it moved no more. Attempts to query the Hattons 21 pin decoder yielded only "Loco Not Responding". Tried to get a reaction on ID 3, but still"Loco Not Responding". Tried a factory reset on CV 8 but still "Loco Not Responding"

Last Chance Forum

Are there any magic tricks to revive a gently fried decoder -perhaps a night in the freezer? - or is it fit only for the bin? 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fordbank said:

Subsequently it moved forward for a couple of circuits of the layout, indicating that the motor was not cooked, but once halted it moved no more.

It may be that one segment of the motor is dead and if it has stopped on that segment then it won't move. This may also result in the decoder saying "no response"

Can you try fitting a blanking plug to test it?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Can you try fitting a blanking plug to test it?

Good thinking. I had a rummage for a spare 21 pin decoder without success. I've more likely got a blanking plug somewhere. I will therefore test with a blanking plug. I presume all 21pin plugs are wired similarly for at least the motor function.

• Agree 1