Marcway O gauge points

cromptonnut

No pictures - it ended up in the bin !

That is entirely my fault.

It is probably nearly 40 years since I last built track in anger (and that was EM gauge).

I was stupid enough to start with a 3 way (In the vain belief I could cope easiily).

I didn't get the impression that the "plans" were at fault but was a little disappointed at the packaging as I managed to loose 2 lengths of rail on the journey to the car as they had punctured their way out of the poly bag and carrier bag - probably also my fault.

End result is no point and project on indefinite hold.

If you are starting out - Peco might be best course - though you are very limited by their standard RTP dimensions.

Kenton: I thought these were ready-made ones rather than kits?

DaveC: Thanks :)

I was tempted by the three way point as a spacesaver, or the smaller radius ones in my freight facility (the Peco ones are 72" radius I believe?)

Kenton: I thought these were ready-made ones rather than kits?

As purchased this was definitely a "kit" long uncut lengths of copper-clad and lengths of straight rail along with the template and "instructions" - everything else (solder, gauges, chairs, skill) extra.

But I do think they also offer to make them up at a reasonable fee.

You may also be right in that they can supply a RTP plastic sleepered version.

The kit appealed to me at the time - a case of too much self-confidence.

As promised, I took some photographs of the Markway points being installed on the Sheffield 0 gauge Group "test track". Hopefully the pictures are good enough to show the detail. If you need the 10Gb files please contact me directly. The boards for the fiddle yard are in the process of being wired at the moment so the boards were on their sides which made it easier for photographing reasonably square on. All the track, Peco plain track and the Markway points, are screwed down as they are in the "fiddle yard". To bring the track in the Markway points up to the height of Peco track 1/16" (I think) cork is laid under the points.

The three way and double slip were bought ready made (or should that be made to order), the other turnouts were made by a club member.

Best regards

DaveC

post-3729-12799592466_thumb.jpg

post-3729-127995927363_thumb.jpg

post-3729-127995929199_thumb.jpg

The Markway points look ok with the Peco track - no graining effect on the Markway points and they need lifting to match the height of the Peco track. They seem to work ok - lots of testing with wagons and coaches before the wiring started. Once the boards are installed to replace the old back half of the layout we'll have a better idea of their running properties. I'll be trying my Q6 (0-8-0 mineral loco) and some of the others will have their favourite for the testing too.

For my own layout I'm going C & L for track and points on the main boards and I'm not sure for the fiddle yard - it may end up as cassettes.

Regards

DaveC

Thanks for that - so they wouldn't look "out of place" alongside Peco stuff?

Hi Cromptonnut,

Sorry, only just seen this thread - couple of pictures attached from an O gauge layout of a mate of mine. He uses RTR Marcway points (i.e. not ones he kit built) with Peco meter-length. Runs superbly and once its ballasted I personally think it looks good. As for running quality - smooth as a nut! Don't think we've ever had any derailments on the points.

The only thing to remember with Marcway points is they are not sprung in anyway like the Peco one's are - so while they will hold in one direction fine, you will need a point motor or some mechanical mechanism to lock and hold them in the opposite position. My mate has his motorised with Tortoise motors and they work fantastic.

Not sure if your looking at the pre-built options or the kits, but the pre-built ones I would recommend to anyone - expensive yes, but we've not had any issues with them at all.

Rich

post-9617-128018702228.jpg

post-9617-128018703029.jpg

The feature to remember about Marcway is that the rails and frogs etc. are soldered directly to copper pcb sleepers and there are no chairs. This is very obvious before ballasting but not quite so obvious afterwards. I've tried to cut chairs down to fix them to the rails but it's tedious and not very convincing.

If you're bothered about this you could look at C&L points in a kit. There was a review in a recent GOG Gazette which was favourable.

Kev

Archived