Farish 60 removing silver mainline stripe

Hi guys,

I am trying to weather my farish mainline blue 60 as it is in today's condition minus the big yellow EWS sticker. My question is what is the best way to remove the silver stripe running down the side.

I have tried to paint it out but that didnt work so removed it with some meths which just made the blue body dull but removed the dodgy painted spots.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Alistair

The method I used to do mine was to get some meth spirits and dab the area with a cotton bud and leave for 2 mins. Whilst waiting get a cocktail stick and cut about 1/2 mm off the end so it has a dull end and then carefully rub the area you want to remove until it disappears. If you find that the white comes off but leaves a slight white residue or watered down white paint effect just wipe over the area with the meths spirit cotton bud and then then get another cotton bud and put a cold water on the end of it and then rub over the area the meth spirits has been to get rid of any meths and then leave for 24hrs before applying transfers.

The reason for using the dulled cocktail stick is so that it doesn't scratch the paint work as long as you don't rub too hard.

This is one I did in N gauge first and I think from what you have said will look like my first attempt as it sounds like we did the same thing But the 2nd one is much better using the technique I've described above.

post-7145-127963316699.jpg

post-7145-127963319621.jpg

This is what I did also on my Hornby class 60 as well on the yellow stripe to remove the numbers.

See a link to the picture of my Hornby one below.

post-7145-12796332578_thumb.jpg

This also works on the farish ews 60 as well.

To get the finish back to the area where the meths has been used get some satin clear coat varnish and that should give you the right finish. I just brushed it on but if you have a spray gun then I guess that would also work but I didn't use one just a brush.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Archived