Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Hi Peter

You must have enough information in all those books to know what station was where and track plans to just about every station in the country.

I wonder just how much all that would cost to sell on the open market today... mmmm B)

Then you could extend the model room down stairs and have the 120FT x 85TF room you planning to get... wowwww

What a layout that would be.... :huh:

See you again soon...

Jamie ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter

You must have enough information in all those books to know what station was where and track plans to just about every station in the country.

I wonder just how much all that would cost to sell on the open market today... mmmm B)

Then you could extend the model room down stairs and have the 120FT x 85TF room you planning to get... wowwww

See you again soon...

Jamie ;)

Hi Jamie

Don’t know about overall cost but it most be a fair bit. Mind you Alfie (see my avatar) is a good guard dog, he weighs in at about 14-15 stone, about 90kg and is 36in to the shoulder. He deters any unwanted visitors.

The plans for the new model room are not quite that big. Only 65ft x 25ft if it every gets built. One problem is that I will have to lose some of the apple trees in the garden to build it. Plus the money point as well.

But one can dream

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter

See you again soon...

Jamie ;)

Hi Jamie

Don’t know about overall cost but it most be a fair bit. Mind you Alfie (see my avatar) is a good guard dog, he weighs in at about 14-15 stone, about 90kg and is 36in to the shoulder. He deters any unwanted visitors.

The plans for the new model room are not quite that big. Only 65ft x 25ft if it every gets built. One problem is that I will have to lose some of the apple trees in the garden to build it. Plus the money point as well.

But one can dream

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Well 65FT x 25FT will still make a great train room for most of your layouts to fit in... Lets hope you can pull it off one day...!

Looking forward to seeing you at the Model Rail Live...! at Barrow Hill, Round House at Chesterfield in Derby, should be a great week end for some RMWebers hope to see some you guys their, make your self know at Peters stand.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Well in the last few months little work has been done on the layout other than a few bits of pipe work to the main building. This has been manly due to ill health of Wendy’s Mum an us going down to Devon.

Any way work started the other day on the finishing of the baseboards which would have been completed by this weekend read to commence track laying but with the snow here in Wales over the last two days it has been a little to cold to be working down in the unit.

Track plan has now been completed and just needs to be reduced down in size so that I can place it on the Webb but Jamie is a little busy at present so I will have to wait a while.

At present I am drawing up the plans for the engine shed, goods shed, signal box and the local Lairds house (he’s the one who owns the distillery.

Have decided that all the signals will be lattice post

Any way hope to put on some shots in the next few days.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Well it is sometime since I did any work on the actual layout down at the unit, mainly due to it still being so cold down there. Anyway work has been in hand on drawing up the plans for the various buildings on the layout and some further work on the model of the distillary, this now having its roofs fitted. Some Pine trees have also been made as well. I have now brought the base boards up to the house and have commandeered the dining room and its table to start work on the track laying. There are still three points to make but they are now laid out on the building boards ready to commence building some of these at the Welsh Slate Museum Show in a weeks time and should be completed within the next two weeks.

In the mean time some shots of the cork being laid down

One last detail. Does anybody know if a manufacturer produces Scottish figures in 4mm scale wearing kilts. I have looked through the main producers like Presier, Dapol , Nock , springside, to name a few. Would be most grateful if anyone can tell if there is someone who makes them.

post-6915-0-00177200-1297854862_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-38890000-1297854930_thumb.jpg

This was the the first idea to have a petrified forest on the layout, then it became where the forest was to go!

post-6915-0-50913000-1297855060_thumb.jpg

]post-6915-0-93976600-1297855066_thumb.jpg

The cork laid and track ready to lay down and ballast.

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Re kilted Scottish figures - you might try the Airfix or Esci range - both have sets of "Waterloo" highlanders - all wearing kilts - and I remember the Airfix set contained a couple of good standing figures which could be de-militarised and turned into civvys easily with a sharp knife blade - did that a while back for a couple of "interesting" passengers on a platform on one of my layouts ! IIRC Airfix are closer to OO than Esci - Esci are 72nd, but the odd tall person doesn't stand out that much, I've been mixing 72nd figs with normal 4mm and 3.5mm figures for years and nobody's noticed !

Best

Matthew

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Re kilted Scottish figures - you might try the Airfix or Esci range - both have sets of "Waterloo" highlanders - all wearing kilts - and I remember the Airfix set contained a couple of good standing figures which could be de-militarised and turned into civvys easily with a sharp knife blade - did that a while back for a couple of "interesting" passengers on a platform on one of my layouts ! IIRC Airfix are closer to OO than Esci - Esci are 72nd, but the odd tall person doesn't stand out that much, I've been mixing 72nd figs with normal 4mm and 3.5mm figures for years and nobody's noticed !

Best

Matthew

hi Matthew

Many thanks for that information. Will keep my eyes open for the airfix figures. Ido the same on my layouts mixing different scale model figures, well not everybody is the same height, and to date no one has stated or passed any comments.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

For 4mm figures in kilts look to the Military Modelling suppliers.

You may well have to modify the figures a bit to tone down the military look and may be interested in this tip I was given by a war gamer many years ago.

Never throw away scraps and offcuts of "Plastikard"

When your current bottle of MekPac is nearly empty (about 75% used) drop in some of the scraps/offcuts (as small as possible) put the lid on and leave overnight.

Depending on the ratio of fluid to solid plastic you will have a paintable Plastikard solution, you can add more of either element to taste.

After modifying the figure, add any additional clothing/hats etc using tissue or very thin paper (easy to form and glue) and when finished give it a coat of the plastic solution.

It is also very useful for filling gaps and corners in buildings and wagons etc, I would not be without mine now (currently light green)

It gets a bit thick over time but I just add more MekPak till it's how I need it.

Personally I have only ever used MekPac (I believe it's not too fierce compared to some others) but I guess other brands may produce similar results.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Peter - A man in trousers can be carved down to a man "more or less naked from the waist":O , but with the below knee trouser leg converted to Stockings - Then you need a piece of fine interfacing (the stuff that goes inside shirt collars - speak nicely in a fabric shop) and a piece of glass or mirror. Take some Copydex - (PVA may work but I haven't tried it) paint a line of glue about one cm wide X two cm long on the mirror, and put a similar length of the interfacing in it. Make sure it is soaked through - if necessary paint some more glue over the top, and leave somewhere warm to dry. When dried, trim it to kilt length - ie just below the knee - peel it off the mirror It will be a very thin sheet of flexible rubber-like material, and wrap it round the figure so that it hangs below the waist - note if you have used Copydex it will stick to itself. A fine paint brush will give you a basic tartan block appearance. Hope it helps.

• Like 2

For 4mm figures in kilts look to the Military Modelling suppliers.

You may well have to modify the figures a bit to tone down the military look and may be interested in this tip I was given by a war gamer many years ago.

Never throw away scraps and offcuts of "Plastikard"

When your current bottle of MekPac is nearly empty (about 75% used) drop in some of the scraps/offcuts (as small as possible) put the lid on and leave overnight.

Depending on the ratio of fluid to solid plastic you will have a paintable Plastikard solution, you can add more of either element to taste.

After modifying the figure, add any additional clothing/hats etc using tissue or very thin paper (easy to form and glue) and when finished give it a coat of the plastic solution.

It is also very useful for filling gaps and corners in buildings and wagons etc, I would not be without mine now (currently light green)

It gets a bit thick over time but I just add more MekPak till it's how I need it.

Personally I have only ever used MekPac (I believe it's not too fierce compared to some others) but I guess other brands may produce similar results.

regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Many thanks for that but in the early 60's in my teens I used to help and work with George Slater making bits of models and developing some of the embossed sheeting. One of my jobs was to cut all the scrap plastic up, put it in a big tub together with a large quantity of Metpak and stir until a gooey mess and then bottle it ready for selling. Fumes everywhere with hardly any ventilation. no H&S in those days.

Peter - A man in trousers can be carved down to a man "more or less naked from the waist":O , but with the below knee trouser leg converted to Stockings - Then you need a piece of fine interfacing (the stuff that goes inside shirt collars - speak nicely in a fabric shop) and a piece of glass or mirror. Take some Copydex - (PVA may work but I haven't tried it) paint a line of glue about one cm wide X two cm long on the mirror, and put a similar length of the interfacing in it. Make sure it is soaked through - if necessary paint some more glue over the top, and leave somewhere warm to dry. When dried, trim it to kilt length - ie just below the knee - peel it off the mirror It will be a very thin sheet of flexible rubber-like material, and wrap it round the figure so that it hangs below the waist - note if you have used Copydex it will stick to itself. A fine paint brush will give you a basic tartan block appearance. Hope it helps.

Hi Jack

Many thanks for the above tip will try that.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

A few hours work today and most of the track has been laid on the 2 station boards. Just got to complete 2 points to finish it. Attached are some shots of the track being laid. I cover the cork with PVA, place the track down and when all aligned and pinned cover the lot with extra fine granite balast and leave for 24 hours. the surplus ballast will then be brushed and vac'd up and sieved for next time.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-21484700-1298414758_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-27740100-1298414763_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-43586400-1298414768_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-50415100-1298414772_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-70855500-1298414777_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Stewart

Many thanks for that but in the early 60's in my teens I used to help and work with George Slater making bits of models and developing some of the embossed sheeting. One of my jobs was to cut all the scrap plastic up, put it in a big tub together with a large quantity of Metpak and stir until a gooey mess and then bottle it ready for selling. Fumes everywhere with hardly any ventilation. no H&S in those days.

Peter

I didn't know that such a mix was ever commercially available, presumably it didn't sell so is no longer available, as I said, I would not be without some.

I know exactly what you mean about HSE.

When I was an apprentice in the 60's one of the jobs we had to do was insulate High Voltage Busbars with tubes of insulating material which was "softened" in a bath of some chemical which turned hands and arms snow white and very cold which at 16 was considered vey cool.

We also built Arc Chutes with very dusty asbestos mouldings, but it wasn't dangerous then !!

Maybe that's why I am a railway modeller. :mellow:

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well at the Welsh Slate show finished of the point work for the layout as well as a bit of work on the main distillery.

The first two boards have now been completed on trackwork other than where it crosses onto the next board. Shots show the state of play as of 5.00 o'clock last night.

I then started on the wiring on the first board which apart from the fitting of the point motors was completed after about five hours this morining. Some shots show this work will now start on the next board tonight.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-90713900-1299584339_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-57878700-1299584344_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-51137600-1299584381_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The track work is coming along well, and my compliments on some very neat and tidy wiring looms.

If I may pass on a personal experience.

My own trackwork was laid in exactly the same manner, with cork laid neatly and squarely up to the joins.

I spent some time getting a good clean join between boards and all was fine for a while, then after a few dis-assembly and re-assemblies the cork started to crumble at the edges and the track began to move.

Gauge was fine, but the height began to vary, and even though I used shims to realign it was never reliable after that.

I eventually replaced the cork at the edges with a bit of planed moulding timber the same thickness as the cork (and about 20mm wide in my case) screwed and glued to the baseboard surface, some copper clad sleeper strip screwed and glued to that and cast brass chairs soldered to the copper clad where the track was visable (track joiners soldered to the copper clad under the barrow crossing)

All is now solid and reliable and no problems anymore with baseboard joins.

My layout lives in the garage (insulated a bit, but still a garage)

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Hi All

Well the work on the second board has now been completed on the wiring.Two shots of the state of play this morning and tonight. Have now completed some more of the building drawings for the row of shops in the high street. Also have been cutting the timber (balsa wood) to make a start on the platforms in the next few days. Hope to have all the point motors tomorrow so they can be installed over the weekend.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-98272100-1299794608_thumb.jpg

I could have sworn that there was a pink and red wire in there.

post-6915-0-38779800-1299794737_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-45804700-1299794966_thumb.jpg The finished wireing ready for fitting of point motors over the weekend.

• Like 1

Hi all

Well over the weekend and the last two days a fair bit of work has been done. The platforms on the end station board have been started and it has been agreed that use will be made of Bachmanns Hampton Load station buildings modified for the main station. The point motors have not yet been fitted but on the plus side the last two boards have been built and the cork layed on them. Some work has also started on the three bridges.

Had a guest round on Sunday for tea and ended up having it on the small tables in the lounge.!:rolleyes: Wendy is not amused but Gerry is a railway modeller so saw the funny side of it.

Any way here are a few shots showing the work to date.

post-6915-0-22220000-1300219461_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-96882600-1300219469_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-16261900-1300219480_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-87644600-1300219543_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-10731000-1300219550_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-39594000-1300219554_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-00274300-1300219559_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All

Just a quick update on the layout. All the track with the exception of two items, those being the bridge section and the completion of the trap point from the distillery, has been completed and is in the process of having the electric droppers soldered on. A start has been made on getting the basic senics in place.

Hope to start on point installation this weekend and finish of the basic wiring but have just found out that I have run out of the material for the face of the control panel. In the mean time will complete as much of the inside of the panel as I can.

At the same time have started work on some of the other buildings ie the engine shed and part of the main street buildings and the two over road bridges at each end of the plateform.

The plan is to have the layout complete by the end of june which allows two months of testing before Blackburn show in Sept.

post-6915-0-24758300-1300542129_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-86701500-1300542133_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-46504500-1300542140_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love the look of your "railway room"! Would love to own something like that here (speaking as one who has just discovered termites in the basement). I guess the flagstones on the floor just add to the fun of levelling the layout! This is a really nice looking layout - please keep us updated with lots of photos. How many nice looking layouts does that make on this forum now?

• Like 1

Hi,

This is really looking good- will watch with interest! I notice you are using polystyrene to form the ground contours will be interesting to see how this develops! I am using the same material to form a rock face on my own layout.

Bill.

• Like 1

Love the look of your "railway room"! Would love to own something like that here (speaking as one who has just discovered termites in the basement). I guess the flagstones on the floor just add to the fun of levelling the layout! This is a really nice looking layout - please keep us updated with lots of photos. How many nice looking layouts does that make on this forum now?

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your comments. The railway room is in fact the the dinning room :unsure:the main modelling room is in the barn with the Railway Study Centre but the down stairs room is leaking. Most of the main modelling is done now down at the shop unit. The flags are slate, and yes it is a B.........y swine to get things level. I now have five on the web but there are two more that are not on both of which are finished layouts.

For the rest of you here are some shots of the bridge that is being built. Before any one passes a comment on the under beams yes I know I have done them wrong. They should be 90 degrees to the runing line. Also completed the droppers so it is now ready to complete the wiring on the last two boards.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-30260200-1300792139_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-68939600-1300792143_thumb.jpg

post-6915-0-02115600-1300792147_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Its coming along nicely now, love the bridge structer I take it this is the Stream up to where the Water Wheel is or as that been scrapt now. I'll pop up for a brew next time im over that way. Hope you are all well and now Real Snow...haha!

Speak again soon at the unit as I want to pick up a few things next time I'm passing by.

Keep up the good work.

Jamie

• Like 1