2807 touches down

Mr Brunel

• RMweb Gold

Something struck me as 'odd' about that picture of 2807 and I eventually realised that it is the oil pipe cover between the boiler cladding and the smokebox - it was on the other side on 28XX/2884 locos, as far as I'm aware.

A quick check through a few dozen pics didn't reveal a single one of a 28XX with the cover on the left side, whichever boiler they were carrying. 2807 was withdrawn with that boiler and it had been on other locos including a 'Grange' (which might account for the cover being on that side?) but it still strikes me as 'odd'.

So has anyone got, or know of, any pictures of an 'unrestored' '28' with the cover on the left side please?.

The reason for the second 'J' Cock Cover on the firemans' side of the smokebox is due to 2807 having a Five Sight Feed Lubricator fitted rather than a Three Sight as she would have originally been fitted. Our own 2-8-0 No.3850 is fitted with the same. Great to see that 2807 has now arrived at the GWR, I had ought to plan a visit!

• RMweb Gold

The reason for the second 'J' Cock Cover on the firemans' side of the smokebox is due to 2807 having a Five Sight Feed Lubricator fitted rather than a Three Sight as she would have originally been fitted. Our own 2-8-0 No.3850 is fitted with the same.

So are these preservationists mods on both locos (while appreciating that 2807's boiler had been on other than 28XX before she received it)?

So are these preservationists mods on both locos (while appreciating that 2807's boiler had been on other than 28XX before she received it)?

Yeah, the mods are purely a preservation thing, the boiler, or what it was fitted on previously have no bearing on the location of the 'J' Cock covers as the pipes run underneath the cladding sheets and the covers are bolted down to smokebox and cladding. I can't remember why we fitted a 5 glass lubricator to 3850 now, I should do because I made the mountings for it and fitted it! Maybe we just had it to hand.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, the mods are purely a preservation thing, the boiler, or what it was fitted on previously have no bearing on the location of the 'J' Cock covers as the pipes run underneath the cladding sheets and the covers are bolted down to smokebox and cladding. I can't remember why we fitted a 5 glass lubricator to 3850 now, I should do because I made the mountings for it and fitted it! Maybe we just had it to hand.

Thanks - a useful point for modellers (and manufacturers) to note that what is there in preservation might be different in detail from the way the loco was in traffic (And I bet you fitted that five sight feed because you had one handy ;) - I really must try to remember where I put the set of glasses I liberated from Southall stores back in 1967, saved 'em going in the scrap bin.)

Archived