7mm Starter

garethevans1986

I concur on the two Soldering Irons and Hi & Lo-melt solders, but I use the 80W just for the strong joints needed on chassis & body components... surely the 20W is more than enough for whitemetal ??- sometimes I even switch mine off and use it as it cools for the smaller details...

I also have some smooth-jaw pliers and a Bench Vice and a Mini vice to help bend components.

Hi there,

I was advised that the 80W would be better, as while the temp isn't high, the larger iron has a larger heat reserve. I was told that the smaller pencil iron would lose too much heat, and the temp would quickly drop to less than 70deg, and therefore not melt the solder. No such problem with the 80W iron...

But, if you've been able to solder whitemetal with yours, maybe I'll give mine a shot for the smaller details. I doubt I would have been able to solder the axlebox castings on with it, though...

I forgot one other tool I aquired along the way: and "etch mate": http://www.micromark...TE-3C,8737.html nice little tool for bending smaller etchings.

Archived