BR Dia. 1/051 China Clay Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Greetings chaps,

Couple of quick questions regarding the above wagon. Myself and a fellow P4er have decided to look into building a model of Boscarne Junction, with the future possibility of building something based on the North Cornwall line (Wadebridge has been mentioned a number of times!).

I am currently a little confused with the Ratio BR 'Clayhood' Wagon. I understand that the 'hoods' were a 70s thing, so I'm not interested in that, but what livery should these wagons be painted in, BR Bauxite similar to this wagon seen on the Bodmin and Wenford line, or something else?

The other question is some of these wagons have Split axle boxes, the same as the one above, but others have BR or RCH fittings. Please help, because I am now quite puzzled! Were the split axle boxes only used on some examples?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards

Nick.

Dear Nick

Plenty for you to get on with here. BR China Clay - Clayhood" (C#980567) – 77 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c980567.html

Not to be confused with the open merchandise which were in clay traffic

Clay open merchandise wagons, pre-nationalisation origin – 25 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c163031.html

BR Clay open merchandise wagons, BR origin – 19 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c163789.html

Paul Bartlett

York

Paul

Squinting at the first small picture it seems to have roller bearings not split type.

Your 2nd photo looks to have the furthest wagons with BR/LMS split box (EMGS do a good wm one) with the nearest one having a mix of square type split boxes that I don't think anyone models.

I'd make an educated guess most of these were built with split boxes but could easily have acquired plate equivalents soon enough - roller bearings (which were very rare anyway) wouldnt have appeared until the 80s, probably by cross-pollination from the 10ft wb Clayliner fleet

IIRC early batches of these wagons were built unfitted with double brake, with later ones being vac Morton. I'd think that in 1958, the early wagons would have been starting to be upgraded to VB, so a few grey ones wouldnt go amiss. There might also have been some GW and ex-PO wagons in the fleet at that time

Most would have been grey* in 1958, hidden under a layer of white. China clay gets everywhere! BR axleboxes were a mixed bunch like the wheels. Replacements were the 'next off the pile' rather than matching them and were frequently mixed on the same wagon. AFAIK roller bearings came in with vacuum fittings (from 1957 B743300 - 743874, but were by no means universal.

*ex GWR/PO and B743000 - B743299 (1954 - 1956)

. AFAIK roller bearings came in with vacuum fittings (from 1957 B743300 - 743874, but were by no means universal.

Invisible ink againdry.gif

...- roller bearings (which were very rare anyway) wouldnt have appeared until the 80s, probably by cross-pollination from the 10ft wb Clayliner fleet

If anybody does know of a pre-80s photo, please point me in its directionsmile.gif

Archived