Simon's weathering topic. UPDATED 29/07/10

I decided to start a weathering thread because it seems it is the only modelling i can do at the minute. I've spent most of the year ammassing a collection of diesel & electric locos from the 1970's to present day. I have a collection of locos & wagons currently going into the weathering shop.

The first model i want to show is a Bachmann warship that i have been working on. I wanted to do a really heavy weathering job on it to depict it in the 70's looking a bit beat up & neglected.

post-8269-128007340616_thumb.jpg

I've used railmatch enamel's to get the weathered blue & yellow tones needed to make the paintwork look battered. I've used all the basic weathering tones to get it dirty. I have to admit i cocked it up a few times but i have managed each time to pull it back to looking good once again biggrin.gif

It's not finished yet i've got the main bit done just need to finish it off with little areas here & there.

I've got 2 class 66's currently nearing completion 2 class 33's an arriva 57 & some EWS vga van's also being weathered i shall add to the thread once i get something else working.

comments welcome.

Simon.

I will admit this looks very good :D

so how did you get the faded look with the railmatch paints? did you repaint the engine or is it a mix of paint and something else?

in terms of usual means of getting it dirty, did you use powders? if so, which powders and did you use varnish or hair spray to seal.

I will admit this looks very good biggrin.gif

so how did you get the faded look with the railmatch paints? did you repaint the engine or is it a mix of paint and something else?

in terms of usual means of getting it dirty, did you use powders? if so, which powders and did you use varnish or hair spray to seal.

Well to start with i masked off the body so the front ends were showing & then used Maskol to mask off all of the windows & areas i didnt want covering in yellow paint. Tamiya 6mm masking tape is a life saver & comes in various sizes & is great when it comes to getting a good straight line ( i used standard masking tape before)

I tend not to use enamel paints because when it comes to washing out the brush it is a pain in the backside. Railmatch do 451 rail blue in worn matt effect & 452 warning panel yellow in special matt fade effect. They only do those in enamel at the minute so to get the finish i wanted it was a case of use enamel.

The front end once dry was given a wash of roof dirt & weathered black mix & that was repeated once dry to get a dirty finish.

When it came to the body this was a trick area which i will admit i cocked up. I bloobed on Maskol over the nameplates , numbers & arrows then maked off the ends & started to spray. I gave the whole sides a nice fine coat of faded blue color & then realised i had made a super big cock up. When i took off the Maskol off the areas around the nameplates , numbers etc it showed up the rail blue underneath & it looked awful.

I then had to mask up the namplates etc very finely with Maskol & then re applied some blue it wasnt brilliant but i thought i could pull it back with the weathering. Once the blue had dried i gave a coat of frame dirt over most of the sides & chassis to give the effect you see their. Having a good airbrush with a superfine spray will help out bigtime here my old badger has been sent to the back of my box now to collect dust forever & a day.

I've still to finish it off i'm gonig to mask off the body & just spray up the grills on the sides with a fine light blast of black to just lift them off the body & use a wash to bring up the detail on the fueltank area.

HTH

Simon.

Here are a couple more photo's of the warship & then the rest of the fleet that ar currently bein worked on. Most of the models are complete although their will be a few tweeks here & their to finish them off.

So first up a couple more of the warship i still think this is my finest work so far i am so pleased with it.

post-8269-128041748477_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041754174_thumb.jpg

Then i have a couple of class 66's which i wanted to do lightly weathered.

post-8269-128041708898_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041714914_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041720369_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041726065_thumb.jpg

Then their is this critter i have got to say this is another i am pleased with i think it captures a weathered version well without over doing it.

post-8269-128041736934_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041743216_thumb.jpg

I've also been experimenting with wagons using the uk rolling stock fotopic site for reference. The VGA has written accross sufc blackwell out because i am a Sheffield united fan & i don't like Kevin Blackwell he is garbage biggrin.gif

post-8269-128041731548_thumb.jpg

post-8269-128041759279_thumb.jpg

Comments welcome.

Simon.

Hi Simon

got to say like the weathering alot ,

have a load of rolling stock and loco's i need to spray but need to get the bottle to weather them.sad.gif

have an old lima 66 which is going to be my practice loco

Alex

Alex can i give you a piece of advice.

The best way to start is with a wagon & just take your time the uk rolling stock fotopic site is brilliant i use fotopic as a basis for all my own models. The photos i have put above really dont do them justice but hopefully that is a good piece of advice. Depending on where you are i am doing a weathering demo at the LYDCC show in Rawtenstall later this year feel free to pop along i will have a few models to hand & their will be a collection of models being worked on.

Simon.

cheers for the reply simon.will give a wagon a go as you suggest B4 takin on a loco.

as for the demo what date are you doing the demo's if i'm not away in my caravan might try make it up there arrive in style on the ELR

cheers Alex

ps found the site i am away for halloween but might still try make the show

Archived