R-T-R wagon prototypes

Il Grifone

Having decided to collect a small number of Tri-ang wagons (one or two of each avoiding the myriad variations and weird colours!), I was wondering how many Of the early R-T-R wagons are actually models of something.

Here are a few to start. Any thoughts/corrections would be welcome.

Trackmaster/Tri-ang van L & Y van Dia.? (3?)

------------- " --------- open wagon RCH 12T side door mineral

The GW/NE/Insulfish liveries are incorrect for these.

The following appear to be fictitious/wildly inaccurate

Tri-ang and HD low sided wagons

---------"-------- bogie bolsters

Any ideas on the Tri-ang Weltrol?

EDIT for omission/error

The Weltrol is underlength, but gets the general appearance rather well.

Outstanding among the Triang wagons is the bogie brick wagon. The body is - bizarrely - a scale model. I have been told that the bogie tanker best known in the 'Murgatroyd Chlorine' livery is similarly much more of a scale model than was usual for the Triang range.

It's probable that the Tri-ang model put paid to any plans for an SD6 brick wagon. The lettering rather spoilt it and the brick load suffered from Tri-ang's cheap and nasty relief grooving, which also marred their horse box and utility van, which were otherwise quite reasonable models of their GWR and SR prototypes. I started to correct a horse box, but Lima's version makes it not worthwhile. The utility van I've not had the courage to start.

I understood they were branded 'RETURN TO FLETTON' like the HD and TTR tinplate ones and also the Tri-ang wagon has the old prenationialisation non common user Ns in the four corners. (RETURN TO DEPOT/POOL does not make sense.) Being heat printed, these are difficult to remove. There was a later undecorated starter version IIRC. The printing was quite neatly done, but rather oversize (and a plank too high to be pedantic).

A Tri-ang one at a collector's price http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f43334de

A cheaper one http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4cf0972eeb

& there's a 'bargain' TTR one here! http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5635980fe2 These are far from 'rare'.

It seems that almost everyone who made wagons had a go at these brick wagons!

I've found some RCH 7 planks similar to the Trackmaster/Tri-ang one were owned by the GNR, LBSCR, and SECR* for loco coal use.The NE branding is thus possible though the number and fitted bauxite colour are not correct for the GNR wagons.

* Probably others? There were some GWR wagons, but these were end door it would appear.

• 3 weeks later...

Why, how? Looked better to me than most Tri-ang lettering. Caught the very large BRICK well. http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p25780200.html

Paul Bartlett

As is often the case with Tri-ang stuff, it sat a bit too high on its bogies which spoilt the appearance. Same can be said of their later Bogie Bolster C - a nice model with some very neatly printed decals but the bogie height lets it down (I have one in a "to do" pile awaiting lowering). Stanchions are oversize too, but you do have to factor in robustness for the toy market!

David

As is often the case with Tri-ang stuff, it sat a bit too high on its bogies which spoilt the appearance. Same can be said of their later Bogie Bolster C - a nice model with some very neatly printed decals but the bogie height lets it down (I have one in a "to do" pile awaiting lowering). Stanchions are oversize too, but you do have to factor in robustness for the toy market!

David

Not a great problem with these as the bogies can go straight in the bin and be replaced with something better! Filing a bit off the bolster is a bit less drastic, but you're still left with the undersized wheels.

Not a great problem with these as the bogies can go straight in the bin and be replaced with something better! Filing a bit off the bolster is a bit less drastic, but you're still left with the undersized wheels.

I must admit a bogie swap never occurred to me, even though the Ratio ones from their bogie wagon kits are available as easily-assembled separate items. Food for thought there....

David

Archived