Difference in Gresley A1/A3 Doncaster and North British Built

Guest TomTank

Guest TomTank

Morning all

I belive there is a small difference between the A1/A3s built at North British and the Doncaster ones. Is it something to do with the reverser? And if so have Hornby incorperated this into there models, just so I know when renumbering, what versions I can do with that particular mode.

Cheers

Tom

Guest Max Stafford

Essentially Tom, the big difference is that the NBL-built locos have a reversing rod that dips for the greater part of its length then rises at the front. Hornby have included this feature in some of their A3s. I'm running their 60073 St Gatien as 60068 Sir Visto and I believe these locos have the NBL style reversing lever.

I'll have a look in my 'Green Book' later and check which locos are involved.

Dave.

Guest TomTank

Essentially Tom, the big difference is that the NBL-built locos have a reversing rod that dips for the greater part of its length then rises at the front. Hornby have included this feature in some of their A3s. I'm running their 60073 St Gatien as 60068 Sir Visto and I believe these locos have the NBL style reversing lever.

I'll have a look in my 'Green Book' later and check which locos are involved.

Dave.

Hi Dave

Don't suppose you have a pic of comparison on the Hornby locos?

I'm thinking of getting St Gatien, and renumbering to a Gateshead A3 with GNR tender, but as she was NB built, wanted to make sure i rename to a correct member of the class.

If I bought Windsor Lad and St Gatien, could do some nice mix and matching ;)

There is also a difference in the shape of the fiebox cladding. Instead of a gradual curve on each side as it approached the footplate, there was a definite kink in the outer cladding in line with the upper running plate on NB built locos. Also note rounded-corner lining.

post-6680-128065487413.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

I never ever picked up on that one Larry. Good spot! I'm wondering if this would have remained as a permanent feature or would it have reverted to standard configuration during a shopping at Doncaster. Photos of Sir Visto in 1948 and 1959 respectively are inconclusive and from a distance at least, suggest a more gentle profile than the sharp transition shown above. This may support the theory above.

Dave.

Archived