In case anyone needs pics of older US trucks

shortliner

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I have always wondered (since watching "Cannonball" on next door's telly because we couldn't afford one) why US semi-trailers all seem to have the axle(s) so far towards the back compared to British and European ones. Is it to do with axle loading, spreading the load over the max. length or what?

Ed

It's because in most of the states (each state has their own weight limits and regulations) the maximum weight at which a vehicle can be operated is determined by the overall wheelbase, i.e. from first axle to last axle. The aim is to spread the weight as much as possible.  Consequently trailers have their axles right at the rear end and the tractor unit as far forward as possible.  It's most noticeable on U.S. Cabovers (forward controls as we call them) where the axle is under the drivers door. 

On European/British tractors the axle is pushed back, a little to the rear of the drivers seat, and there is space for cab steps in front of it. European weight limits are more determind by individual axle loadings so it's better to position them a bit inboard to better spread the weight over all the axles.

Some, more modern, U.S. tractors do have set back front axles, it gives a more comfortable ride. Having driven both Mack and White tractors, which were imported over here in small numbers in the early 1980's, I can vouch for the rougher ride you get sat over the axle.

Arthur

Yes - thanks Arthur - 298 I only found it because someone in the USA sent me a photo - that is on that site - of loading trucks in Minneapolis in the 30's and I found it very useful in looking at the kind of trucks needed for Harlem Station. There is a guy on Ebay who seems to do a good collection of truck with open front cabs from the "steam era" but they seem to be a bit earlier than I need - probably early-mid 20's rather than what might still be in use in the 50's

Archived