Deltic lost sound problem

AlanVSparks

Perhaps someone has seen this?

So I have this problem Bachmann DS Deltic and the latest problem is with the Sound. It will start and power up very well and then after a short while of running around the layout the sound will turn off.

The loco can still be driven but will not respond ot any sound functions.

The only way to regain the sound is to remove the track power and restart again, then all is normal until it cuts out again.

I think the 21 pins are ok as I have tried this sound decoder in another loco and the problem followed the decoder.

I was thinking that it may be getting overheated although the sound was turned down to 55 from 63 and the loco was running light engine so no real motor load.

I also did a reset on CV8 but the problem persists

I suspect this decoder will need to be returned to the dealer but before I do perhaps someone has a bright idea?

Thanks

I suspect this decoder will need to be returned to the dealer but before I do perhaps someone has a bright idea?

Thanks

Actually not one bright idea what this might be. It sounds like there is a fault in the transmission / reception of data by the decoder which only a track power reset can cure, albeit temporarily.

The problem could well be heat related but still will mean a faulty decoder.

In any event you bought this loco as a sound fitted item and I assume you have done nothing to it in terms of changing the speaker or otherwise interfering with the decoder sound settings.

After years of advising against resetting using CV8 it is now quite OK to do on factory fitted sound chips. If this is NOT a factory fit but a retro dealer supplied fit then this chip will need a reblow at that dealer and not all of them are using the latest software which allows use of CV8. A Bachmann chip will require a return to Bachmann unless the supplier has another in stock that he is prepared to swap.

Either way, it will need to go back to whence it came.

If you bought it as a working item and it no longer works as you describe, it does not sound like a problem that can be cured by changing any CV's and if resetting on CV8 makes no difference (worse or better) and the problem follows the decoder then the decoder is faulty.

I had a similar problem with a 37 chip from Howes after being fine for 18 months. It would start up fine and thrash away no problem, but after a couple of feet the sound would just cut out. Seemed to be temperature related as it would restart after removing it from the layout for 10 mins or so. Howes/ESU replaced it no problem. Kev.

Can't remember the CV just at present but as most of these use the ESU chips (check out ESU manual link on the Mute topic I started) as if you set one it will continue with the functions before the loss of signal/power. I have done that to a number of locos and you can be running along sound and lights on lift the wheels on one side of the loco drop it back down and it continues as if nothing has happened.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/18607-esu-v35/

Thanks for all the advice

The Deltic is factory fitted and I have not modified anything other than change CV settings including volume. I had turned the volume up to max but now back down a bit to 50. I think the decoder reset may have helped.

Ran it on a test track for over an hour last night, in both directions and at various speeds, no problems!

I am still concerned the problem will return, next test will be with a heavy train on the layout.

Cheers

Alan

Archived