The Champ suffers a knockout blow!.

sixteen 12by 10s

Statement from the DTG website.

“Unfortunately after completing it's 50th mainline tour D1015 suffered an engine failure on the ECS working back to Eastleigh. The result is that the loco is out of traffic with immediate effect and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. It is with regret therefore that any further planned railtour commitments in 2010 cannot be met. We will try and keep you up to date with further developments and hope that D1015 can be returned to traffic as soon as possible. The DTG engineers now face a daunting and expensive task to restore D1015 to full health, for those who wish to make a contribution towards this onerous task click on the paypal button to make a donation.â€

I had herd a rumor that there had been a problem on Sunday, but this statement confirms it.

The DTG are a great bunch, who against all odds, have restored 1015 not only to immaculate condition, but also to a standard that is required for mainline running. Sine 2002 Champion has had an impressive reliability record, and this is a direct reflection, on the volunteer staff.

Although it is only speculation, one report is of “a leg out the bed†this means a connecting rod has let go of the crank, and existed the block. It is catastrophic failures, such as this that all diesel preservationist fear, and has the capabilities to scrap a power unit.

I wish the lads luck with the repairs, so we can once again witness twin Maybach's at full power.

Gary

The “Irish Mail†at Holyhead, one feature of this tour, was a run up Miles Platting off the 5MPH slack at Exchange, Manchester shook! 16/02/2008

post-7480-128085706219.jpg

Just had a look at the DTG's website, which also had this summing up.

"1Z52 05.35 Westbury-Appleby / 1Z53 14.45 Appleby-Westbury

D1015’s 50th mainline tour should have been a triumph for the Diesel Traction Group but the path of heritage diesel preservation rarely runs smoothly for long and the best laid plans are often derailed by the hand of fate.

It seems inappropriate to witter on about the details of the day when it ended with D1015 suffering a major failure to it’s B engine on the ECS back from Westbury to Eastleigh. The loco will now be out of traffic for sometime while our highly skilled and professional engineers work their magic. We all hope to see D1015 back on the main line as soon as possible."

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/Tour50.htm

• RMweb Premium

Let's hope that D1015 is back soon - although I am a steam man at heart, I still have a soft spot for the WR diesel hydraulics.

Good luck to the engineers who have the task of the rebuild - if it's thrown a rod, it's going to be a big job - let's hope not too big, and that if the use of non standard (ie non prototypical) engineering is needed that they use it - in that respect, I am thinking about the odd attitudes to Green Arrow where a rebuild using a different technique was possible, but ruled out as it was not original.

Archived