More scenery for Sweethome

Jon Grant 4472

Hello folks.

In addition to normal stuff like going on holiday and redecorating the dining room, I have added some more scenery to the layout, in particular some rocks and hills.

The rocks were cast from WS moulds and cut to suit, and the hills were made from plaster bandage shaped over carved polystyrene sheets. When dry, the plaster was painted with brown 'tester pots' from the local hardware shop (B&Q) and earth scatter was sprinkled on while the paint was wet, to give a basic impression of landscape.

This will eventually be hidden when I get started on the grass and shrubbery ('Ni!')

Here are some progress photos starting with the foreground stuff-

Southern freight house in situ.

IMG_6810.JPG

Rock outcrop

IMG_6812.JPG

Rainwater outflow, yet to be detailed.

IMG_6816.JPG

East yard with rock outcrop

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

Bridge photos to follow.....

Jon

The scratchbuilt bridge (thanks to Dale Burns of the Alrails Yahoo group for the photos) hides the gap through the backscene and the hills will eventually be heavily wooded to match the backscene photos.

I also spent some spare time detailling and weathering the Proto GP38-2.

IMG_6824.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_68341.JPG

The scenery continues behind the backscene and will eventually have its own tree-covered backscene

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6829.JPG

Some overall shots to follow...

Jon

Finally a few overall shots of the new scene to bring things up to date. I will be continuing with the basic scenery around the freight house for a while yet, and will post more progress shots as I go.

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

And finally a couple of Birmingham Southern locos.

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6838.JPG

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the weekend finishing off the basic scenery on board one - styrene and plaster bandage hills plus plaster surface in the yard. Ive also finished off the ballasting in the yard.

The area behind the freight house will be wooded, to blend in with the backscene

IMG_6937.JPG

The yard will eventually be overgrown, difficult to imagine at the moment.

IMG_69151.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

A couple of views from behind where the backscene sits

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_69321.JPG

Next for some photos of the painted and ballasted yard

Jon

Once the white bits were covered over, the scene started to look a little more realistic, even though there is no vegitation to speak of, although I propped up some old plastic trees behind the freight house to get a visual effect of what things might look like.

In the first 2 photos, I temporarily placed a small patch of some of the ground cover I will be using - visible in the foreground

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

I've also been patching a GP38 into CSX, although I still have to weather the crap out of it.

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_69591.JPG

Jon

Once the white bits were covered over, the scene started to look a little more realistic, even though there is no vegitation to speak of, although I propped up some old plastic trees behind the freight house to get a visual effect of what things might look like.

IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

Jon

The freight house looks great! That box car is also nicely weathered. :D

I thought I'd have a go at adding foliage to some of the bare trees, so I knocked out a couple of Autumnal/Fall trees this evening.

The basic 'tree' is a flat plastic example from either Heki or Noch (I've had them for 20 years), twisted to shape.

I glued some fibre strands to the ends of the branches, sprayed the lot with the cheapest hairspray I could find, then sprinkled some medium ground cover onto the tacky mess to represent leaves.

Finally, I sprayed 'track dirt' to the undersides of the branches to tone down the 'in your face' COPPER colour.

Here's some photos of the trees in 2 different locations. There will eventually be some ground cover.

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7011.JPG

IMG_7016.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

Back to the workbench to make some more.

Jon

you MP15AC CSX switcher, is that an Athearn or Atlas, did you install the ditch lights? is it front and rear ditch lights is is sound equipped, is so who's? (guess if it is front and rear then my guess is QSI they are the only six function sound decoder).

I want to do an MP15 AC or DC with UPY, but I want to have front and rear ditch lights and sound.

you MP15AC CSX switcher, is that an Athearn or Atlas, did you install the ditch lights? is it front and rear ditch lights is is sound equipped, is so who's? (guess if it is front and rear then my guess is QSI they are the only six function sound decoder).

I want to do an MP15 AC or DC with UPY, but I want to have front and rear ditch lights and sound.

The MP15AC is an Athearn undec that came with an MRC sound decoder.

That decoder stopped working after half an hour and never started again, so I junked it and fitted a Tsunami 645(non turbo). I thought about returning the knackered decoder for replacement but I won't be using MRC ever again.

The tsunami only has 4 functions, so I had to fit front and back ditch lights in parallel. Thie means that the rear ditch lights flash when the loco is moving forward, but I can live with that. The other option would have been to fit a cheap 2-function decoder, just to use the additional functions.

Here's a video of the loco to give you an idea of the sound. I slowed down the flash rate only after making the video.

CSX MP15AC

Jon

The MP15AC is an Athearn undec that came with an MRC sound decoder.

That decoder stopped working after half an hour and never started again, so I junked it and fitted a Tsunami 645(non turbo). I thought about returning the knackered decoder for replacement but I won't be using MRC ever again.

The tsunami only has 4 functions, so I had to fit front and back ditch lights in parallel. Thie means that the rear ditch lights flash when the loco is moving forward, but I can live with that. The other option would have been to fit a cheap 2-function decoder, just to use the additional functions.

Here's a video of the loco to give you an idea of the sound. I slowed down the flash rate only after making the video.

CSX MP15AC

Jon

I also have an MP15AC undecorated, I still have the nasty MRC sound decoder. time to find some decals and paint, I might as well make it my next project. will be a UPY

How did you do the ditch lights?

With the scenery and trees on board 1 coming along nicely, I thought I'd do a bit of catch-up with the scenery on board 2, which was starting to lag behind.

Most of todays work involved glueing down the styrene blocks and cutting them to shape, messy but necessary.

IMG_7048.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_70761.JPG

IMG_7062.JPG

IMG_7053.JPG

I also cut and fitted scenic fascias from foam-core and fitted them behind the styrene. Once the glue dries, Ill get working on the plaster bandage and a few more rock outcrops.

Jon

I also have an MP15AC undecorated, I still have the nasty MRC sound decoder. time to find some decals and paint, I might as well make it my next project. will be a UPY

How did you do the ditch lights?

I wired up the ditch lights to the decoder to test them - this photo is of a GP38-2, but the principle is the same.

IMG_4928.JPG

Once I'm happy they all work properly, I drill holes into the pilot and thread the wires through. I usually have to cut a channel into the plastic under the pilot so the wires don't stop the chassis fitting properly

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

The finished ditch lights

IMG_4934.JPG

Jon

Archived