Examples of small, cramped goods yards

puffernutter

A Goods only possibility is the Avonside Wharf Branch adjacent to Bristol Temple Meads but on a lower level . This gave a very cramped approach to a small yard , barge dock and Avonside Foundry . Curves were so tight that only the very smallest locos could be used and in steam days an L & Y Pug was kept at Bristol Barrow Road Shed to shunt the yard . An incongruous sight in the middle of GWR territory.

Excellent wee goods-only yard design by Iain Rice, in his book...''Designs for Urban Layouts''......the 'minimal goods depot''....6 foot 6 by about 15-18 inches, old money....including a feasible sector plate and storage off scene...[i have seen a similar design used by a modeller in US-type railroading.....Shortliner Jack will know the one I mean.....]

I do like his other station too, in this book..'majoring in minories'....although I am trying to decide whether the exit main line is double or single tracked.....

in fact, if nothing else, I consider Iain Rice to be one of the single largest contributors to the phenomenon of 'armchair modelling'....his books are such good reads

Goods yards don't come much smaller or simpler than Midford (S&DJR)

Ed

Couldnt disagree with that statement but despite its small size it still had a feel of spaciousness about it especially when a 7F was dropping off a couple of wagons,

An incongruous sight in the middle of GWR territory.

Well, it was an ex-Midland line, so not *that* incongruous!

Another Edinburgh example is the NBR Leith North station, renamed Leith Citadel after nationalisation, by which time it was freight only. There's a good picture of it in one of Iain Rice's layout design books: the station was single-platform, in front of it there were three through sidings used to exchange traffic with the docks shunters, and in front of that there was a large goods shed. Modelled to exact scale in 4mm it would take up a 6'x6' square, with the main axis of the layout on the diagonal; but half of that would be goods shed.

• RMweb Premium

There are pictures of Rob Rowland's excellent 00 North Leith layout online here and here. I believe it was a fairly accurate representation, within the limits of Peco pointwork. It was quite well known on the exhibition circuit a few years ago, but I haven't seen it for a while.

Signalling diagram here.

Archived