Andels 16mm Slate Rubbish and Slab wagons

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Roger (Signaller) I was alerted to these new 16mm wagons from Andels Models.

At only £8 each they represent excellent value with scope to improve and modify further.

These I think are freelance design but have very close tie ins with the prototypes, of which were many variants.

First up the Rubbish wagon.

Parts as they come, plastic wheels on metal axels.

post-7026-128246930276_thumb.jpg

The body has interesting pitting, not sure if intentional or down to casting, either way I will take advantage of it in the weathering stage.

post-7026-128246930575_thumb.jpg

A rough mockup of what it will look like.

A rather good likeness I feel.

post-7026-128246930918_thumb.jpg

And then the slab wagon.

post-7026-128246931623_thumb.jpg

It comes with 5 cross bars but to me thats too many, my research shows 3 and 4 bars in existance but not a 5. Maybe there were.

Either way mine shall be a 4 bar

post-7026-128246932038_thumb.jpg

Both sub frames on each model has wood grain effect.

They are more terracotta colour but my photos are a bit light.

They are also available in grey.

All in all they are rather good.

I'll post up build progress on here as I start them.

Thanks to Roger (Signaller) I was alerted to these new 16mm wagons from Andels Models.

At only £8 each they represent excellent value with scope to improve and modify further.

These I think are freelance design but have very close tie ins with the prototypes, of which were many variants.

First up the Rubbish wagon.

Parts as they come, plastic wheels on metal axels.

post-7026-128246930276_thumb.jpg

The body has interesting pitting, not sure if intentional or down to casting, either way I will take advantage of it in the weathering stage.

post-7026-128246930575_thumb.jpg

A rough mockup of what it will look like.

A rather good likeness I feel.

post-7026-128246930918_thumb.jpg

And then the slab wagon.

post-7026-128246931623_thumb.jpg

It comes with 5 cross bars but to me thats too many, my research shows 3 and 4 bars in existance but not a 5. Maybe there were.

Either way mine shall be a 4 bar

post-7026-128246932038_thumb.jpg

Both sub frames on each model has wood grain effect.

They are more terracotta colour but my photos are a bit light.

They are also available in grey.

All in all they are rather good.

I'll post up build progress on here as I start them.

Thanks Garry for the info and pictures you beat me to it! I agree with all you have said.

Saves a lot of time scratch building and you can add you own personal touches.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Garry for the info and pictures you beat me to it! I agree with all you have said.

Saves a lot of time scratch building and you can add you own personal touches.

Roger

I was looking at scratchbuilding some but will see how these go.

I still think they will look better with the double flange wheels.

I have some somewhere so will mock up for us to see and think about.

Problem is to buy the wheels is more than the kit laugh.gif so a cheap kit suddenly...er...isn't.

• RMweb Gold

Garry, I have been trawling pictures, did they ALL have double flanged wheels?

Thanks

Roger

The vast majority of rubbish wagons from what I can see were double flange, however, I have recently seen a pic with single flange, I'll try and root it out again.

I have never seen single flanges on slab wagons, but thats not to say some were not like that. Quarries did their own things that were fit for the purpose in hand, few standards biggrin.gif .

• RMweb Gold

Well my quarry will have to have single flange. It will be just a matter of time before someone tells me. biggrin.gif

Thing is, these are a freelance wagon anyway, based on prototype. So maybe in your quarry, thats what they did.

If you are not doing stub points then I would not worry about it too much.

Having seen some of the things on 7mm and 16mm NG railways, there seems to be a prototype for everything biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Well my quarry will have to have single flange. It will be just a matter of time before someone tells me. biggrin.gif

Fear not Roger, have a look here http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?p=11335

Various rubbish wagons, some with single flange, but also on page 2 of this link a picture of a 4 bar slab wagon, with single flanges, never seen one before.

So there we go, we are fine if we want to stick to single flanges lol. wink.gif

• 3 years later...

Fear not Roger, have a look here http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?p=11335

Various rubbish wagons, some with single flange, but also on page 2 of this link a picture of a 4 bar slab wagon, with single flanges, never seen one before.

So there we go, we are fine if we want to stick to single flanges lol. wink.gif

That's an interesting site I didn't know about. I have just started a 16mm slate quarry layout, so will follow this with interest. 

this is a link to some pictures of the 7mm layout I have been working on for the last "X" amount of years, but is now nearing completion.

Archived