Little Joe

shortliner

Oohs and aahs for certain! And also an Arrgh!*

At first blush it's a very nice model. Also, the horn sounds right on to me, based upon my Milwaukee Road videos. Overall, I'd day the price is about right, especially in comparison to what a brass model without the aural goodies was several years ago!

Had it come out a few years ago, this model would have dramatically changed my modeling efforts.* Modeling Milwaukee Road through the Bitterroot Mountains at Avery, Idaho, is a very attractive theme for me. Too bad the Joes never made to regular service on the Coast Division, being denizens only of the Rocky Mountain Division. Still, maybe we'll see a boxcab from MTH in the future.biggrin.gif

The review writer does get a bit carried away: "They ended up on various US railroads. ..." That's too general: General Electric sold them to only two US railroads -- The Milwaukee Road (12) and the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend (3) -- after the Russian deal fell through. Another five went to Brazil.

Jack, the South Shore version might even work on a micro layout, assuming you can handle the extra length of the loco on a tail or runaround track. I have one DVD in particular showing South Shore Little Joes switching on small yards (Miller and Kensington) on the South Shore near Chicago. I tried to blow up the photo of the South Shore model to see if it had the extra marker (or class?) lights on the nose, but couldn't do it. I do see the loco has the "Little Train That Could" decal from the 1970s. Has possibilities. Hmm. You do need to paint the fronts of the frames silver, though. . .

The price isn't bad considering what you get, but I wouldn't give MTH a dime, even if they produced something I really, really wanted. It's a matter of principle. Mikey SUCKS.

What Pete said. Though I am curious to see how they've done the running gear to compare it to the BLI Centipedes...but I have to say that the Little Joe is very handsome indeed...

It's nice...but it's still MTH. If I had the space i'd have one, if only to model Avery. Luckily i'm not in a hurry to evict the car from the garage, but if someone came along with Boxcabs, Bi-Polar's or the Westinghouse locos, well.....

Archived