Hormby LMS 4-4-0

I have the opportuuty to buy a Hornby 4-4-0 in perfect condition for £20. It is tender drive unfortunately. My layout is totally DCC. Is it worth my while to convert this to loco drive and fit DCC? If so, how do I go about it?

If by LMS 4-4-0, you mean the 2P class, then £20 is a pretty good price in my opinion - these would normally go on ebay for £25 or more (especially if boxed). I have one of these and it is a nice looking loco and runs well (although it is tender drive as you say). If it is not the 2P, it is the Compound (or 4P). The main obvious difference between the two is that the compound has external cylinders, while the 2P has internal cylinders. One thing to check on the 2P is that the traction tyres in are good nick. If not, you will have a slight problem, as the correct tyres (X8331) do not seem to be availalble any longer. I did fit some Hornby Dublo traction tyres to mine, but there arent perfect, as they are a bit narrower than the correct ones.

I have not converted mine to DCC as I am still DC, but as my 2P only picks up from the loco driving wheels (I am pretty sure about this without actually opening up the tender), you would be able to locate the chip in either the loco body or the tender. There is ample room in both for a DCC chip from memory.

I hope that this helps you a bit!

Simon

Guest stuartp
I have not converted mine to DCC as I am still DC, but as my 2P only picks up from the loco driving wheels (I am pretty sure about this without actually opening up the tender), you would be able to locate the chip in either the loco body or the tender. There is ample room in both for a DCC chip from memory.

Unless Hornby changed the drive train since I bought mine, it's the old Airfix ringfield motor with plastic tender wheels and traction tyres. It doesn't pick up through the tender wheels and motor casing as the pukka Hornby ringfield motor does.

Archived