Harrington Industrial spur.

Jez

Heres the latest addition to the RailAmerica fleet - a genuine RailAmerica Loco! Its the Athearn GP40X in TPW. The motor has been removed and it operates as a dummy with GP35 4044. The only other addition is Kadee scale couplers. The unit will eventually have some more details added, as well as having working lights fitted and will be weathered when time permits.

I have also ordered SOR GP35 5005 - this is a custom repaint into RailAmerica livery - this should be with me in a couple of weeks. This particular loco works out of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Try Google or Bing, I think the loco is stabled in the yard on both of the arial veiws.

post-7044-128256066317_thumb.jpg

post-7044-128256103208_thumb.jpg

post-7044-128256108692_thumb.jpg

post-7044-128256112697_thumb.jpg

post-7044-12825611598_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jon - I follow your layout updates with great interest and pinch a few ideas if you don't mind.

The Switch Stands are by Central Valley and come as a kit - 6 in each pack I think. I purchased mine through Model Junction, but I think they have sold out, so it may be worth going direct through Walthers.

I've just been down to Wickes and purchased yet more wood (I've got to hide it before the wife gets home from work!), so watch out for an extended Harrington Industrial Spur over the next few days.

Are these the ones?? http://www.cvmw.com/1600/1604.htm

Thanks Jon - I follow your layout updates with great interest and pinch a few ideas if you don't mind.

The Switch Stands are by Central Valley and come as a kit - 6 in each pack I think. I purchased mine through Model Junction, but I think they have sold out, so it may be worth going direct through Walthers.

I've just been down to Wickes and purchased yet more wood (I've got to hide it before the wife gets home from work!), so watch out for an extended Harrington Industrial Spur over the next few days.

Dear Jez,

Heres the latest addition to the RailAmerica fleet - a genuine RailAmerica Loco! Its the Athearn GP40X in TPW. The motor has been removed and it operates as a dummy ...

Any particular reason why it's been de-motored?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I removed the motor for better running qualities! It may seem a little extreme, but my Katos all run like a Swiss Watch - a must for the slow speed switching that takes place on the layout. Although athearn have come a long way in locomotive detailing, accurate dimensions and livery application, the motor has pretty much stayed the same - the coffee grinder! I know that there are many modelers out there that can get an Athearn to run very well with some running in and DCC Decoder tweaking, but I'm not one of those guys - I have enough trouble trying to change the road number address. The GP40X will always be twinned with a Kato GP35 - one of the only multiple lash ups on the layout!

Archived