Modelzone Cardiff

Danemouth

It looks as though they are opening four or five shops a month at the moment.

Birmingham, Leicester and Ipswich last month, cambridge, swansea, cardiff next month - Peterborough soon. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 10 or so before Christmas

This seems to be following a pattern - Beatties had 60 locations, then disappeared in 2001. There was a similar company in the 70s (I forget the name)

I'm not convinced this expansion is sustainable - and from all the insider advice I've recieved, traditional model shops, that can offer a greater range, and helpful advice, should have nothing to fear.

My impression of ModelZone (I visited the one in Manchester, although I don't think I bought anything there) is that they are not very price competitive and somewhat unimaginatively stocked on the railway front.

I suspect they concentrate more on non-railway items.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Beatties really went downhill after they started diversifying into toys and home computers, etc. SO long as MZ don't go down the same road, they stand a chance of survival, though you can't beat a proper model shop that knows what it is selling!

I have always been curious as to whether any of the senior management/shareholders of Modelzone are in some way connected to the old Beatties chain? As for 2 Modelzone stores opening up in South Wales, I am ALWAYS pleased to see new Model shops opening up in my area, but from my own experience of Modelzone, their range is far too diverse to cover any of the product ranges in sufficient depth and their pricing seems to be at the MRRP.

I don't think that they will trouble Ian Allan too much, because they are focussing primarily on book and DVD sales 9despite stocking OO and N gauge items), but I'm not so sure about Antics, as their product ranges are very similar - I guess it will depend upon prices, quality of service and availability!

I always seem to be close to a modelzone and I will always go in if I see one. I have only ever made one purchase from a modelzone however because everything is priced at the RRP. There are obvious negatives to this, but on the bright side it does mean that they hold onto some stock for longer as they can't always sell it - I've never been in a modelzone without seeing an NRM Flying Scotsman! So if there's an item of stock that all the local model shops have run out of, I would suggest having a look in Modelzone.

They are always in good, prime locations, the three I visit often are Meadowhall, Bluewater and The Glades in Bromley, so I can go in an have a look at the new releases in their display cases without going out of my way, another plus, seeing all the loco's they can offer out of their boxes, though not so good if you are buying the last of their stock for that particular engine!

As I said, I have only ever made one purchase from Modelzone as I prefer to support my local model shop rather than a large chain. It is always nice to have a chat about the item you are buying, forthcoming releases, the owner's opinion etc and almost everything is cheaper! As Modelzone is a chain, you are far less likely to have this experience as many of their employees will be working purely for the money, or their interest and expertise will lie in the other products they sell. Having said this, their staff have always been friendly enough to me even though I never buy anything there!

I'm sure many presents bought in Modelzone have started off an enthusiasm for railways! Whilst I choose not to shop there, I still think that any new Modelzone should be welcomed by our community!

hey

was in cardiff today went to see where it going to be and it was open, thought it didnt open untill sat. had a good look around , a lot model cars , kits and a range of Hornby stuff mostly full prices tho there 15% Hornby stuff this week . i did buy some wagons for treat for my self lol

is it normal for modelzones not to stock Bachmann range ? as they had signs up for the limit edition from Bachmann :S

rob

Visited Swansea Modelzone this morning - it was as I expected a bit of a disappointment. Reminds me very much of Beatties in their latter days. Model Railway stuff was mainly Hornby with some Gaugemaster and the usual paints, knives etc. Full RRP so wouldn't think of buying much there , Holt Model railways have nothing to fear down here and I doubt that any of the shops in Cardiff will be quaking in their shoes !!! No Bachmann stuff at all and no N scale.

Archived