Hornby pancake motored motor bogies axles query

Loosely related to my enquiry about how good or otherwise the Hornby 29 is/was, I am now wondering what diameter the driven axles on the bogie are as they really need spoked wheels to look the part and Ultrascale conversion kits appear to be disc wheels but I have a cunning plan!

John. ;)

Hi John,

If you use the latest 5 pole incarnation of Hornby's motor bogie it is really easy to rewheel. I have used their own coach wheels for my conversion, as mine is for a 4Epb unit, but any Romford/Jackson type wheels with a 2mm axle should be able to be used. Unlike the 3 pole bogie the toothed wheel pulls off the driving wheel, it is held on by three small pins. I cut a small plastikard spacer disc, just smaller than the toothed wheel, to maintain the correct back to backs. If you drill through the original wheel where the holes for the locating pins are, this gives you a jig to drill locating holes in the plastikard spacer disc. Once you have drilled the holes in the spacer disc glue it to the toothed the toothed wheel. Then glue this assembly to the back of the new wheel. I used epoxy for both operations. The longest part of the job is waiting for the glue to dry. I see no problem with using this method to do spoked wheels as when painted matt black you probably wont be able to see the disc anyway. I am looking at this method to power a DC kits 71 with Romford 16mm spoked wheels. Here is a picture of the completed conversion. Hope this helps.

post-7006-069592300 1284388382_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now, Ian.

Hi John,

If you use the latest 5 pole incarnation of Hornby's motor bogie it is really easy to rewheel. I have used their own coach wheels for my conversion, as mine is for a 4Epb unit, but any Romford/Jackson type wheels with a 2mm axle should be able to be used. Unlike the 3 pole bogie the toothed wheel pulls off the driving wheel, it is held on by three small pins. I cut a small plastikard spacer disc, just smaller than the toothed wheel, to maintain the correct back to backs. If you drill through the original wheel where the holes for the locating pins are, this gives you a jig to drill locating holes in the plastikard spacer disc. Once you have drilled the holes in the spacer disc glue it to the toothed the toothed wheel. Then glue this assembly to the back of the new wheel. I used epoxy for both operations. The longest part of the job is waiting for the glue to dry. I see no problem with using this method to do spoked wheels as when painted matt black you probably wont be able to see the disc anyway. I am looking at this method to power a DC kits 71 with Romford 16mm spoked wheels. Here is a picture of the completed conversion. Hope this helps.

post-7006-069592300 1284388382_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now, Ian.

Well you're ahead of me there Ian, 5 pole version eh? Any spotting clues as I'm new to pancake motor bogies, give me a Mashima and some gears and I know where I am!

For spoked wheels I'd spotted some spoked tender or pony truck wheels in Exactoscales list might be a little more substantial than wagon wheels?

John.

Hi John,

There are a couple of clues. The gearwheels are finer on the 5 Pole and there is generally more wiring around the model. The wheels are always blackened on the 5 pole. The old three pole versions mostly had one wire between the bogies. If you google Hornby Spares there are few companies on there that do them. I have used Abigails spares in the past and found them very good.

Cheers for now, Ian

Thanks for all your help guys, so the conlusions are...spoked wheels are do-able but sounds like the later bogies are the ones to go for. For wheels I think there are some tender/bogie wheels from Ultrascale that will do the job nicely so I,ll have to start a shopping list.

Once again thanks everyone for the help.

John. :rolleyes:

Archived