Traction Magazine

WhiteRoseRambler

Sept or issue 191 contained the class 47 for those who asked.

Contrary to others here this is only my second purchase of this mag, because of the Cuban article.

Visited the island 6 times, the 47's (T975's) are all scrapped circa 1999.

A fleet of Brush built 3 foot gauge locos still operate at one sugar mill probably not of interest to many respondants above reading the comments.

However you can see one of my pictures at http://www.flickr.co...don/3349503441/

Kev Staddon

You'll be pleased to learn you're not alone!

I already subscribe/buy too many magazines (or so my wife reminds me), so my purchases of "Traction" tend to be few and far between, but like you I'll make an exception when there's some decent "foreign" interest. (In my case, I've never visited Cuba, so perhaps an article on the Zimbabwe DE4s would have been more up my street).

There's actually precious little on "heritage" foreign locos in the UK press (which probably spells lack of interest), - a shame when so often they parallel some of the classic diesels we knew and loved from our domestic railways. Even the more obvious titles such as "Today's Railways" or "Continental Modeller" feature such articles only occasionally. "Locomotives International" tends to focus on steam (no problem for me there, but I also welcomed the "specials" on diesels and electrics). Otherwise you're into the odd piece in RM, RI.

By contrast, "Lok Report" has an excellent balance, IMHO, between modern/historical, main-line/private operator/preserved and domestic/foreign.

Archived