SPROG and Lenz USB Query.

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

This is my first post on the new forum and I'm one of the 15% who had to re-register so I hope all this works!

I've got JMRI and a SPROG II connected to my old laptop. It works fine and I'm really happy. I've just got a Lenz USB adapter with all the Lenz software etc. I don't intend to use them at the same time but is there any reason why I shouldn't install the Lenz hardware/software on the same PC? If anyone has installed both without problems I'd like to know please. Otherwise I shall have a go and report back. If it is a problem, I can resurrect another ancient PC for the Lenz USB but it isn't exactly portable.

Tony

This is my first post on the new forum and I'm one of the 15% who had to re-register so I hope all this works!

I've got JMRI and a SPROG II connected to my old laptop. It works fine and I'm really happy. I've just got a Lenz USB adapter with all the Lenz software etc. I don't intend to use them at the same time but is there any reason why I shouldn't install the Lenz hardware/software on the same PC? If anyone has installed both without problems I'd like to know please. Otherwise I shall have a go and report back. If it is a problem, I can resurrect another ancient PC for the Lenz USB but it isn't exactly portable.

Tony

Should work fine as you have described.

However, if you always work with the Lenz system within range, there seems little point having a Sprog as well (so sell it?); the two achieve pretty much the same with the JMRI software.

• RMweb Gold

Should work fine as you have described.

However, if you always work with the Lenz system within range, there seems little point having a Sprog as well (so sell it?); the two achieve pretty much the same with the JMRI software.

Thank you. I'll set up the Lenz USB software interface sometime in the coming week. I'll keep the Sprog though, it takes up so little space on my PC desk. I'll probably install the Sprog on my main PC aand take the old laptop down to live with the Lenz stuff if it all works.

Best wishes

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a little update. The SPROG is still attached to the old laptop on my desk upstairs. However the Lenz USB adapter is connected to my test track and is running on a Samsung netbook. Possibly a bit of overkill for a test oval but it was possible to use the normal Lenz handset and the two computer generated throttles.

Tony

Archived