TCS programming with LENZ

ken

I have finally got it to work, programming in direct mode!! The lights all work, but F1 does not switch the marker lights on until the direction toggle switch is moved in one direction, is this correct can it be changed? Also when i try to put on the marker lights and one of the headlamps, the lights flash off and on, and sometimes even the tail lights light up!! Is this an overload problem? Or is there a Cv that requires changing?

Also how do you normally set up your 158 units, this is a three car set with 2xFL4's, do you use individual adresses for each one....etc?

many thanks for the help

bondy

Hi Bondy

Pleased to hear your finally getting somewhere with this problem. I note from your above post that 2 x FL4's are fitted ? is that correct ? If so FL4's are FUNCTION ONLY with no motor drive ? and you will need to replace one of the FL4's with any suitable 4 function decoder with a motor drive - otherwise the unit will not run ?

As for the the DCC address - use ONE address for the unit as a whole - ie all decoders fitted use the same address. With a MU this is one of the main reasons why the car with the FUNCTION ONLY decoder requires the decoder to be programmed PRIOR to installing it in the coach - on the programming track (as per my above post from the TCS website) . ie set it's address and with cv mapping, set which function buttons CV's you wish to operate which lights BEFORE you install it in the coach. Do the same for the power coach decoder with the motor drive - no need for the load resistor this time - connect it directly to the prog track and set the address(same)and again map the function key CV's to the buttons you wish to use. Do ONE coach at a time - not together.

The FL4 decoders have function mapping between F1 & F12 which makes them very useful for MU's and locos with lots of sound/light functions etc. As supplied default settings (which are changeable) F1(CV51) controls the Green wire (ON forward only) F2 (CV52)controls the Purple wire (ON Reverse only). ie they are both set to work directionally. The Brown & Pink wires are are controlled by CV53 & CV54 and are default set to work ON in BOTH directions.

Are you fitting the Express models light kit DCC L156/B158(S)? Have you followed the instructions as supplied with the kit ? Before going any further - you will need to get a suitable 4 function decoder with motor drive, to fit in place of one of the FL4's, a Lenz/Lokpilot/ or perhaps a TCS T4X etc Note: Basic budget decoders ie Hornby/Bachmann etc do not have suitable function mapping options.

Once you've got a motor decoder sorted out, come back

Regards

Ken

Hi Bondy

Pleased to hear your finally getting somewhere with this problem. I note from your above post that 2 x FL4's are fitted ? is that correct ? If so FL4's are FUNCTION ONLY with no motor drive ? and you will need to replace one of the FL4's with any suitable 4 function decoder with a motor drive - otherwise the unit will not run ?

As for the the DCC address - use ONE address for the unit as a whole - ie all decoders fitted use the same address. With a MU this is one of the main reasons why the car with the FUNCTION ONLY decoder requires the decoder to be programmed PRIOR to installing it in the coach - on the programming track (as per my above post from the TCS website) . ie set it's address and with cv mapping, set which function buttons CV's you wish to operate which lights BEFORE you install it in the coach. Do the same for the power coach decoder with the motor drive - no need for the load resistor this time - connect it directly to the prog track and set the address(same)and again map the function key CV's to the buttons you wish to use. Do ONE coach at a time - not together.

The FL4 decoders have function mapping between F1 & F12 which makes them very useful for MU's and locos with lots of sound/light functions etc. As supplied default settings (which are changeable) F1(CV51) controls the Green wire (ON forward only) F2 (CV52)controls the Purple wire (ON Reverse only). ie they are both set to work directionally. The Brown & Pink wires are are controlled by CV53 & CV54 and are default set to work ON in BOTH directions.

Are you fitting the Express models light kit DCC L156/B158(S)? Have you followed the instructions as supplied with the kit ? Before going any further - you will need to get a suitable 4 function decoder with motor drive, to fit in place of one of the FL4's, a Lenz/Lokpilot/ or perhaps a TCS T4X etc Note: Basic budget decoders ie Hornby/Bachmann etc do not have suitable function mapping options.

Once you've got a motor decoder sorted out, come back

Regards

Ken

HELLO KEN

The set is a 3 car(159) I have two FL4's in the end coaches and the centre coach fitted with a lenz silver already installed and working!

Bondy

The set is a 3 car(159) I have two FL4's in the end coaches and the centre coach fitted with a lenz silver already installed and working!

Bondy

Oops you got me confused asking about 158's ;-)

OK Basically the way the lights should work, provided you have it wired up correctly, and have set the relevant CV's to suit etc

F0 - Controls the markers in the FRONT coach and the tail lights in the REAR coach

F1 - Controls the markers in the REAR coach and the tail lights in the FRONT coach.

Unlike normal std lighting which changes over at each end when the controller direction is changed, this option requires you to change the lights over manually ie when F0 is ON - F1 sould be OFF, and vice versa - otherwise you'll have markers and tails ON at both ends at the same time.

F2 - Controls the DAY Headlight of the front coach

F3 - Controls the NIGHT Headlight of the front coach

F4 - Controls the DAY Headlight of the rear coach

F5 - Controls the NIGHT Headlight of the rear coach

There are a number of other options you could also use, it really depends on what you want ?

What lights have you working on which function buttons at present ?

Ken

thanks for info lads.

quick question do i need to fit a resistor between the lighting kit and the decoder?

bondy

Assuming the decoder(s) is one of the FL4's connected to an Express Models lighting kit board ? - then NO - the required resistors are already built onto the circuit board - one for each function pin out(4) - not required on the the blue common +. Do you have the Express models instructions as supplied with their 158 lighting kits ?

Ken

Assuming the decoder(s) is one of the FL4's connected to an Express Models lighting kit board ? - then NO - the required resistors are already built onto the circuit board - one for each function pin out(4) - not required on the the blue common +. Do you have the Express models instructions as supplied with their 158 lighting kits ?

Ken

Hey thanks for reply

I have the decoder connected to the lighting board without resistor, but when i say, switch on more than one function at a time, a day head light + markers the lights flash off and on!!! Is this a overload type thing?? Should i connect a resistor to the blue wire? Unfortunately a pruchased the kit a while ago and can not find the instructions for it.

Bondy

Hey thanks for reply

I have the decoder connected to the lighting board without resistor, but when i say, switch on more than one function at a time, a day head light + markers the lights flash off and on!!! Is this a overload type thing?? Should i connect a resistor to the blue wire? Unfortunately a pruchased the kit a while ago and can not find the instructions for it.

Bondy

Are you sure it's an Express Models 158 Kit your working with ?. Are the circuit boards the same as those in the photo below ? Your obviously having problems sorting this out. Rather than spend a lot of time with messages back on fore on this site, provided your happy to do so, one solution would be: why not send me the 2 x FL4's only (the lighting boards will I assume be fitted to the coaches) I'll then check the programming, and map the function buttons as required, so that the lights will work as intended by the Express Models instructions. See my above post for button allocations. All you would have to do on return, is connect up the wires between the circuit boards and FL4's and all will work (hopefully) !

Regards

Ken

post-2215-1258912409107_thumb.jpg

Are you sure it's an Express Models 158 Kit your working with ?. Are the circuit boards the same as those in the photo below ? Your obviously having problems sorting this out. Rather than spend a lot of time with messages back on fore on this site, provided your happy to do so, one solution would be: why not send me the 2 x FL4's only (the lighting boards will I assume be fitted to the coaches) I'll then check the programming, and map the function buttons as required, so that the lights will work as intended by the Express Models instructions. See my above post for button allocations. All you would have to do on return, is connect up the wires between the circuit boards and FL4's and all will work (hopefully) !

Regards

Ken

Hello again mate

I now have one of the FL4'S working and programmed, but i had to put a 100ohm resistor between to lighting board and the decoder, to stop the lights cutting out, when there was 2 functions switched on. The other FL4 however is doing nothing, even with the resistor in place ( i think it mite be faulty ), when I place it on the track all the lights flash off/on on all 4 functions, and it wont program like the other one did!!!

Bondy

Archived