Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Replacement tender ladder for Bachmann 2MT?

I went 1 for 2 today on the modeling front. Added a decoder to my new Bachmann Ivatt 2MT, but in the process damaged the tender ladder as I was reassembling the tender.:(

I've already contacted Bachmann about a replacement, but is there anything else available in cast metal? Something that won't give up the ghost as easily? I've checked Brassmasters and Dart Castings, as they came to mind immediately, but no joy.

Thank you for any assistance!

Guest Max Stafford

Not aware of a cast replacement Paul, but Comet may do an etched one. Anything cast will in all probability be white metal and not particularly robust either I'm afraid!

Dave.

While not specifically for a 2MT, Branchlines do an etched ladder (designed for the 4MT tender) - http://branchlines.blogspot.com/ (don't worry that the 'blog' hasn't been updated), drop them an email and get them to send you the PDFs of their price lists.

Adam

I just e-mailed them Adam, and my hearty thanks for the tip!:D

Guest Max Stafford

On the whole, that design of ladder was pretty standard across the board. For the 2MTs smaller tender back you might need to crop it a little, but that's no big deal really!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

It may be worth sticking with the Bachmann spares department. When ever I've needed any parts they've come up trumps and sometimes all you have to do is send a stamped address envelope.

All I can say is they provide excellent service.

Cheers,

Mark

Paul,

It may be worth sticking with the Bachmann spares department. When ever I've needed any parts they've come up trumps and sometimes all you have to do is send a stamped address envelope.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, the ladder looks a lot like what's on my Standard 5MT, so I'll ask Bachmann to send a couple spares. But something in etched brass would nice too.

What would have been more nice -- me not b**gering up the original ladder!:blink:

The Comet ladder is really nice once built, but each rung has to be sodered in using thin wire. It's also only available as part of their tender chassis pack for the BR1 series of tenders.

You can see an example on my blog here

Each individual rung made from thin wire and soldered?? :blink: You've done a beautiful job on that tender, by the way.

• RMweb Gold

Each individual rung made from thin wire and soldered?? :blink: You've done a beautiful job on that tender, by the way.

Ta

It's not as daunting as it sounds. the ladder sides are held together with a bit of etch that you remove once the rungs are soldered up. It's a bit small and fiddly but as long as you get the soldering neat and tidy on the inside then all the mess on the outside of the sides is cleaned off when you file the rung ends flush. Remove the etch and hey presto. Looks much better than the standard (no pun intented) Hornby item.

HI

Are these any good to you,

I have used them on my ivatt tank steps, look a lot better then the ones fitted.

www.cometmodels.co.uk > Products > Locomotive Components > LS36 .

All the best

Darren

A bit short for the tender ladders, but they are a good find for upgrading the 2MT! Thanks, Darren.

• 1 month later...

Paul,

Cheers,

Mark

I realized last night that I had not heard back from Bachmann's service department after my initial e-mail to them in September! Other things had distracted me. I sent them another e-mail this morning and am hoping for a reply.

Archived