Southern L1 in BR Black picture

Matador

The Model is DJH LI 4-4-0

a picture is here http://kettlesgalore.fotopic.net/p63253255.html

am I correct in thinking the lining should be red and white striping with double red stripes on the boiler bands and white and red stripes on the running board

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

That's a Wainwright class L, the L1 was Maunsell's development of it! The next photo in that database shows an L1.

The lining was red/cream/grey on panels and the running board and red/black/red on boiler bands.

JE

Hi DC

[pedant] That picture you have is an L rather than an L1 [/pedant] ;)

Won't make any difference to the lining scheme however - unfortunately I haven't got access to my information to be absolutely sure of the answer, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly!

am I correct in thinking the lining should be red and white striping with double red stripes on the boiler bands and white and red stripes on the running board

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

The Wide lining you can detect on photos was grey. However, it wasnt just grey, as it had a fine cream line adjacent to its inner edge. Just over 1½ inches separated this from a fine red inner line. The outer radius of the thick grey line was 4 inches. Boiler bands consisted of two fine lines.

Lining on the footplate angle was usually tailored to suit whatever would fit in, meaning the red line was often closer to the grey than it was on cabside and tender panels.

Larry

Here is a picture of the Model it says on DJH Box L Class could it have been painted unlined with British Railways on the Tender and the number on the rear wheel splasher below the cab.

DC Snr

post-9843-029946500 1285176806_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's possible, see http://www.semgonlin.../lclass_01.html for instance (last photo, actually still with 'Southern' in early BR days). I haven't got any photos of them with 'British Railways' but that's not to say it didn't happen. In BR days the number was sometimes squeezed onto the cab side above the splasher, although not in the photos directly linked in this topic (but see p2 of the link above).

Archived