Railways Illustrated November 2010

jonathan452

I noticed some incorrect captions in the November 2010 Railways Illustrated (from the same publishing stable as Hornby Magazine). The article on the Midland Main Line in the early to mid 1970´s credits several of the photographs as being near Elstree. Two certainly are not. One with class 45 45004 on a southbound Mk1 set is just noth of St.Albans station (the two herberts are hanging off the York Road footbridge). The other depicting the Western on a empty southbound return stone train is either on the curve south of St.Albans (towards Napsbury) or on the curves between Harpenden and Chiltern Green (but definitely not Elstree).

Can anybody else comment please.

I noticed some incorrect captions in the November 2010 Railways Illustrated (from the same publishing stable as Hornby Magazine). The article on the Midland Main Line in the early to mid 1970´s credits several of the photographs as being near Elstree. Two certainly are not. One with class 45 45004 on a southbound Mk1 set is just noth of St.Albans station (the two herberts are hanging off the York Road footbridge). The other depicting the Western on a empty southbound return stone train is either on the curve south of St.Albans (towards Napsbury) or on the curves between Harpenden and Chiltern Green (but definitely not Elstree).

Having had a look in my local lending library Smiths today, I can offer the following:

The biggest howler is actually the caption for the Carlton Road junction shot. The short tunnel on the left is the now disused one that marked the start of the 6 track section towards St Pancras. It got taken out of use during electrification. The tunnel out of sight on the left leads to the T&H! As for it being a link line to Kentish Town West, I think not. That station lies to the south and could not be accessed from the MML in any respect, even with all the original track formation in place.fool_mini.gif

The more local shot to me is a bit of a weird one. I'm pretty sure it must be south of St Albans leading towards Sopwell Lane (Napsbury) as there aren't any XX ¾ mileposts on an outside curve between Luton and Harpenden - I know that area like the back of my hand! It can't be Elstree as the remains of the goods yard would still have been there, along with the entry to said yard.

I'll say this much though, the owner of the collection should know better with the captions as he's got a wide knowledge of the line.scratch_one-s_head_mini.gif Perhaps not wide enough!

Regards,

One with class 45 45004 on a southbound Mk1 set is just noth of St.Albans station (the two herberts are hanging off the York Road footbridge).

Yes. It's unlikely they're both called Herbertwink.gif

Archived