German rolling stock

jhock

Hi, can any one advise me what type of tank wagon would be used to supply industrial gas to a factory?

I am not sure what gas, or what the factory makes, I know it's bit vauge but I am in the process of putting togther a small layout and have been inspired by this picture:

AL 45 Schongau

I have seen some 4 wheel Lilliput wagons 'Liliput 240041 DB Freight Car Set Gas Tank Wagons " VTG "', which look like they should be correct and are short which is very useful as layout is only just over 5ft in length, but I am not sure what period they are.

Any help would be most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

The factory in the flickr photo seems to be a paper mill so the tankers in that would be transporting chemicals for paper production. Do the Liliput tankers have an Epoch (Ep) number in their description?That gives an era of use time frame.

Tony

The factory in the flickr photo seems to be a paper mill so the tankers in that would be transporting chemicals for paper production. Do the Liliput tankers have an Epoch (Ep) number in their description?That gives an era of use time frame.

Tony

Thanks Tony. just had a quick look and it seems they are Era 4, so bit old, but they could still be knocking around. If it is a paper mill, then it will be a liquid rather than gas I reckon, clay slurry?

James

Hello James,

Sorry old bean but the wagons in your picture appear to me to be bogie tankers, albeit short ones! See the adjacent photos on Flickr for confirmation.

They are very, very nice wagons indeed and i have some quite similar from, i think, Piko! These can actually be shorter than some lwb 4 wheel vans however, so all is not lost!

Heres the other bad news, generally Piko wagons are on the pricey side(!) but you may be able to pick them up at swapmeets, exhibitions, Euro society 'do's and so on.

Alternatively, a browse through the various Euro manufacturers catalogues should turn up something useful.

HTH,

John E.

First of all, as others have said, the Flikr photo shows tank wagons, but they are not gas tankers.

Gas tank wagons are generally white with an orange stripe.

The Liliput set mentioned is shown as Epoch I, which is very old.

If you want to model more recent times, there are some short gas tank wagons available in HO, such as Roco cat number 66810 seen here, or Trix 24352: here

Thanks for the advise guys. I will have a look around and see what I can find. I did soem research and the factory in the picture is paper mill as suggested. So given the wagons are not gas tankers they must either be chemical or used for Clay slurry for the paper?

The factory is called UPM and is in Schongau, I did try to find the sidings on Google maps but I can't see them on the pictures.

I will have search about and see what I can find that looks suitable, I can use longer wagons but it will only be one or two at push but it's a privatbahn layout so it is plausable!

Well thanks guys, I found a couple of wagons in the PIKO range that seem to match what it is the photo, so I have ordered them from Gauge Master (plus they where on offer which is always good!). So they should do the job.

I only need a couple as the layout is so small.

Archived